PIII 1ghz dual or PIV 2.0ghz?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nosaj, Jul 12, 2002.

1. nosaj

nosaj Guest

Ok, I have some extra $$$ that is just burning me up and I want an opinion as to what to buy.

I can either buy a PIII 1ghz dual (Abit vp6) or I can buy a PIV 2.0ghz (abit or asus?).

I love playing games but when I am not playing graphic intensive games I have multiple IE6 sessions open along with winamp playing. I have a PIII 800mhz currently and when I multitask with winamp playing it always skips when I have so many sites open (along with Photoshop or Premiere running).

I have a GeForce 4 4200 and I plan to have at least 512m ram no matter which Mobo I buy.

What do you guys think? PIV or PIII Dual? Would the PIV be fast enough and be able to handle my multitasking? I have yet to use a PIV.

Thanks

nosaj

2. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

AMDXP2200:)

3. Terrahertz

Terrahertz Extinction Agenda Political User Folding Team

I would go with the PIV with the faster bus and Rambus ram.(My choice)

4. nosaj

nosaj Guest

sorry...no AMD

Sorry, I appreciate the suggestion of using AMD but I am sticking with INTEL for now. No offense to you guys who swear by AMD. I

Thanks though [cpk]

nosaj

5. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

just tryin to help:)

and im not one of those that swears by it:).....whatever works:)

6. Kezzas

Kezzas Guest

No need for duel processers

Hey,
    I would go for a P4 NORTHWOOD with 533 mhz bus.
    I have an abit here and im more then pleased with it if that helps you.

I wouldnt bother with duel processers. *CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG HERE PEOPLE* but i dont think that theres many games that support or benifit from duel processers. Photoshop + other paint progs alike do as far as i know, and Quake 3 of cause (mabe other games that use q3a/q3ta engin do?) but its not that many.

Ric

7. he is correct, the app has to be written for a multi processor environment to use it properly. if it is not the second processor just sits there most of the time waiting for threads it never gets

unless you do autocad, heavy photoshop, or building a database or mail server you'd prob get best benefit buying a p4 system as it will be much more upgradeable in the future also.

check new Intel boards..... they have 478 pin support for 2.6GHz +, ddr memory, usb 2.0, 533 bus etc.....all i use, never had one go bad....cannot say that for abit, will never buy another

8. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

definatly the p4, go for the best u can if u have the money cus the rest of your system don't sound 2 bad (gefore 4 512 ram etc)

that way it'll save u having 2 upgrade again in the near futre.

9. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

take the p4 2ghz 533 bus
    probably throw in some rambus with it
    and u got a fine pc
    the duel p3 1ghz wont do u much good