picture of first computer?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Perris Calderon, May 17, 2009.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

My first computer was a psion palm top, it had infra red data transfer, had no ac power option and the batteries lasted all of 15 minutes

Mine looked just like this but I forget exactly which model I had, I'm pretty sure it was this one;

psion 3mx

be fun if you guys can russle up your original axe

2. hansrijf

hansrijf sh! it stinks Folding Team

i have had a mx3 also, think it was in 1999 or so. My batteries lasted a lot longer if i remember correctly. I even think i have it lying around somewhere... years earlier i had a 386 pc with 512KB (!) internal memory and a 40 Mb harddisk. I think I paid around 1200 euros for it (incl monitor). Weeks later I bought a soundcard for around 250 euro's (must have been quite mad then...). Good old times, used pctools to tune the system, and played mostly an aerly flightsimulator game on it (can't remember the name of it). Was way back in the days i tought myself the basics of msdos (and there also was someting like drdos...). Still use these skills these days!

3. electrickpirate

electrickpirate pirate extraordinaire

I don't have a pic, even tried googling one. My first computer was a Packard Bell 386sx33, I think 4 megs ram and a 1x cd-rom, even came with a 14.4 modem.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  4. bmclaughlin807

bmclaughlin807 Let's blow something up. Political User

5. Perris Calderon

I remember those radio shack computers, state of the art back then, gawd, I forgot all about cassete tape programs!

I think something called "the atom" or "adam" became the go to bang for the buck

for some time "wang" was a house hold name for computing as well

6. Perris Calderon

I remember the orginal modems had a cradle you had to place your handset on top

is that the modem you had?

7. Perris Calderon

did yours have the infra red transfer?

I'm not sure why mine went through batteries, possibly something wrong with the infra red transfer always being on or something

8. electrickpirate

electrickpirate pirate extraordinaire

No, it was internal, but i do remember those ones. had them for laptops way back. i think they were called acoustic couplers when they were for laptops.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_coupler

9. epk

epk Moderator Political User Folding Team

mm.. i dont think i have pics.. but i wonder if its hidden somewhere, maybe my sister's house

it was a 286 samsung.. cant really remember the specs
    used the 5 1/4 disks but later we added a 3 1/2 one too (the common floppys) :D was soo cool hehe
    i remember playing shinobi on it.. i dont even know how old i was, maybe 5 ;D

10. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Does a Commodore 64 count?

11. indyjones

indyjones OSNN.net Adventurer

Does in my book I had a Spectrum +2 :)

[​IMG]

12. mbx

mbx Marathon Project

I sold my very much loved meccano and train sets to save up the money for an original 16k Spectrum.
    After doing Saturday work and saving all my pocket money, I was able to buy the extra 32k to upgrade it to the full 48k about 4 months later.
    I still remember buying magazines and typing in listings to play games on it.

13. Mooz

Mooz Moozically Con~foozed

neep neep with the home built spectrum ZX81 ./... a joy to behold, fifteen hours of basic programming to get the bouncing pixel ...

14. Perris Calderon

of course that counts

here's the adam , the first computerI thought about buying, I wanted one of those radio shack tandy things but they really couldn't do anything, the adam came pretty complete, (which actually meant it had a printer in the box and a bunch of games pre-loaded) and the cost was extremely reasonable, it was made by the same people that made the cabbage patch kids and they used that profit to go for it in the pc world, lost their fortune trying though

wound up taking a pass but that was what I wanted

check out this wiki page on the unit, you'll get a kick out of this;

tee hee

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  15. Perris Calderon

no picture?

16. Perris Calderon

surprised you sold that, you gave up quite a bit to own it, does it have legacy value?

I know the adam has a cult following and conventions just like the trekies.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  17. mbx

mbx Marathon Project

I sold the 48k spectrum to upgrade to the Spectrum +2.
    This was a 128k spectrum with 3 channel sound chip (the same one put into the Atari ST I believe), a proper keyboard (not the rubbery dead flesh one of the previous model) and a built in cassette deck for loading/saving.

This was sold a few years later to buy my Amiga A500, then PCs etc

oh, and legacy value, they sell for £30 on ebay, but I don't think I could dig one out on a wet weekend to play with it.
    It would be too frustrating. I fire up an emulator from time to time though.