Pics of Nvidia 6800

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Terrahertz, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Terrahertz

Terrahertz Extinction Agenda Political User Folding Team

LINK
    LINK

From the looks of that GPU your power supply should be no slouch.

Attached Files:

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

heh. you ain't kiddin. is that 2 POWER PLUGS on the back of that card?!?!!!!!!11!1

3. Terrahertz

Yup two dual molex conn. Im feeling at least a 480W.

4. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

its does not need a huge PSU people it just needs a good one that can dish out the amps that is all so there is no need to go more than a 420 but u just need to get a good one

5. Terrahertz

Know that buddy. New cards are coming so we are all excited. Ive built enough PC's to know that some 350 PS hold a better load than some so called 420 PS.

6. ElementalDragon

I'd still feel safer with a higher wattage but good PSU. i already fried a GeForce 4 Ti4200 due to the fact that my Sony Vaio had what i believe was a 250W in it. when i e-mailed Sony to ask what size PSU it had, they said they could not disclose that information to me. go figure.

7. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

it's probably because Sony didn't know which PSU was in it. When building computers, they probably just bought whichever PSU they could get cheapest, and was above a certain wattage.

8. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

9. ElementalDragon

Goatman, you'd expect them to know what size PSU was in which model computer if you TELL them the model number, wouldn't you?

10. Terrahertz

Sonys full of **** at times.
    Also the 6800 is suppose to be a one slot solution.

11. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

No because it would vary, they'd have a general idea, they'd know it was over a certain wattage, was made by a certain few manufacturers. But they won't know exactly, unless they ran the serial number... and what the odds they'd actually keep track of which serial numbers had which PSU.... not very good...

I would never want to own that card... the nVidia cards seem to be.... brute force needing too many resources... the Radeons seem to be a much more polished product.

12. patrick

patrick OSNN Addict

What I don't get is why it would need two molex plugs. If you're just going to use a splitter on the end of the PSU cable to split into two seperate plugs then what difference would it make if you had one plugged in or two?

13. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

maybe it's a bad idea to split it then. ;)

14. NerdUprising

NerdUprising [ Method ]

6800 preview goodness

This thing actually scares me... I can't even imagine the heat it produces (I'm not interested in 3rd-degree-burn-esque temps flying out of my case... :eek: )

15. Xie

It's probably going to be a while before I get a new card so I'll be able to see teh best of both nVidia and ATi before I get a new one. Till then I'll stick w/ my 9600pro. :)

16. Terrahertz

Well the 12 pipeline version(non-ultra) since its suppose to be single slot will not kick out that much heat.
    Also Sazar has an official NV40 thread up with some better reviews. Check it out mate.

17. patrick

patrick OSNN Addict

Just on the subject of molex connectors, I haven't done anything crazy like try and hookup 6 HDDs all split from the same PSU molex cable but does that mean that we actually have to be careful not to hook up too many devices up to the one individual cable coming from the PSU and ensure that you don't use too many splitters etc?
    For example my FX5900 came with a splitter cable, should I actually be considering not using the splitter to have the video card share with another HDD or anything else with high power requirements?

18. Xie

Well probably depends more on your PSU and how many amps you get on each rail more then anything. With a cheaper PSU or just one w/ lower amps your probably gonna have to use different molex rather then 1 w/ a splitter I would think. But I'm not exactly sure on the rating but I'm sure someone that does know will come and correct me if needed. ;)