physics question on theory

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Perris Calderon, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

never took the course in college

anyway, serious question;

if we're an expanding universe, doesn't that make us a white hole?...for instance, if outside our universe, matter is being expulsed from our origin

we're supposed to start to collapse eventually as well, which would mean if we were outside our universe, our universe would be either a star or white hole as we're expanding, and a dead star when we started to collapse

just a theory from a layman with no education in physics

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  2. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

Seems like its a supported thoery. Makes sense on a theory basis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hole

3. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I swear I came up with that theory about ten years ago, when was that first proposed?

4. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

When white holes were first postulated.

The idea is theoretically supportable but there are many things we don't yet know or understand about the universe, so it is difficult to justify one way or the other definitively.

I wrote a paper on white holes in my astronomy class in university :) Quite a fascinating subject, so many possibilities. Btw, if you have time, check out some of the NOVA tapes/dvd's with Dr. Stephen Hawking and his view on things. He is not quite infallible, but he has a very broad insight on the subject of space/matter/black holes and the like.

The wiki piece seems to suggest that there is a central black hole of inordinate size, the origin so to speak. This has not been observed afaik and there are no gravitational indicators to suggest its existence. But it is something we talked about in great detail in uni.