Periodic JAR Trojans quarantined - where from?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mainframeguy, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

since about six weeks ago (been on holidays meantime) I have been getting the following intercepted by my AV - see screenie attached.

This usually occurs whilst I am away from the machine, I think it always has actually. I believe the JAR file is the key and this is a JAVA Runtime of some sort, my question is if anyone could give me some idea of the origins? Scans of my machine come up clean after the interception so I don't think anything is getting through.

I believe cidaemon is a legitimate service - presumably this trojan is attempting to hijack it?

I run Adaware and Spybot regularly and will post a hijackthis! log if anyone thinks it will help.

Any ideas of lines to persue appreciated - or if anyone thinks my AV is simply doing it's job and I should continue without concern, equally useful information.

Attached Files:

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Sounds like a false postive to me?

3. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Maybe, and maybe I have been slightly idiotic (well it is a bit early for just the one coffee to kick in!) I am thinking what has happened is I have set my McAffe AV to move the files to a Quarantine folder - as you can maybe see - if the clean fails. What I think has been happening is that perioducally for some reason an access is made there and McAffee has been "refinding" the infected files in Quarantine.

I junked my quarantine folder, am rerunning a scan, expect problem to go away after....

If it does not I will resurrect thread.

Still curious where they came from, but will leave that as something better to forget in all probability.

Sorry for wasting anyones time - but hey, that's what computers do, right? ;)

4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

My first coffee is just filtering now and I have been awake for 2 hours!! :eek: