Pentium 4 1.5ghz Overclocking

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
Now I've changed the vCore from 1.68 to 1.80. The ram frenquecy from 400 to 300. Overclocking has brought that up to 405. The cpu is running at 2025mhz & the temperature is steady at 38C.

It's been up & running for nearly an hour now so..........fingers crossed. :D

1.8 is kinda on the high side with air.

Overclocking =1
Hipster = 0

Well I give up. I did start low & build it up but once the rebooting starts even lowering it, it still reboots. Looks like I'll stick with 1.5ghz. Still good. :)

I eneded up locking myself out of not only windows but also the bios. I had to reset it to get back in.

i overclocked my 2.4 to 2.66 without increasing voltage, and my temps didnt move much easier. Each proc is made different, it maybe that ur 1.5 wont go much further, where someone elses would go to 1.8.

coathanger007, your taking a very cautious approach to this for someone who o/c their 2.6 to 3.2 :eek:

Originally posted by adamg
it maybe that ur 1.5 wont go much further, where someone elses would go to 1.8.
Must be something else. Aida32 tells me that the maximum speed for mine is 2.0ghz. Might try backing the vCore off from 1.8 & see if that gets it stable........maybe. :D

I suspect Aida32 only tells you what you could set in the bios or what the fastest speed of your "model" of processor is. Mine says 3066mhz, which is equivalent to the fastest 533mhz FSB P4 (the 3.06ghz model). I can't see my processor going to 3066 with any ease, let alone my memory (which would be well past 400mhz).

What type of ram do you have? kingston ram is pretty good for overclocking, but some other no-name brands will not go too well past their rated speed.

This is what I've done today>

Set the fsb from 100 to 133

Set the RDram frequency from 400 to 300. Changing the fsb to 133 brought that up to 399. I was careful not to go over 400. The RD ram is samsung pc800.

The vCore I changed from default (don't know what the default is) to 100. That brought the voltage up from 1.69 to 1.81.

I ran a stress test (prime95) for half an hour. I rebooted a couple of times. Did some bench testing. The temp of the cpu got up to 56C during the stress test.

It is now running right on 2.0ghz. When it was rebooting itself it was running at 2.025ghz. So far no reboots. (I've turned off auto restart to see what sort of error I get)

I hope I have got it this time. :)

Also I think it was aida. It said my cpu is 1.5 & that it has a maximum speed of 2.0. Hopefully by not going over 2.0 just might do it.

sounds good. another stress test you might wanna run would be 3dmark2001 (about 6 times) , as this also stresses the cpu.

yeah, either test is good and if you have the pro version you can make a batch run. i wouldnt run it overnight tho because then its not good for the comp if it keeps rebooting every half hour while your asleep.

that is assuming that you sleep during the night...:)

It should only reboot once unless you were really excessive in overclocking :)

You need a mobo with 4 phase power and Rubycon caps. 1.8v is too high for the oc you are achieving. My 2.0A runs at 2.5 @ 1.525v.

I was posting here about an hour ago & .........reboot. DAMN!

Anyway what I was going to say was>
I've reset the vCore to default. It is running around 1.69v now.

Yesterday it ran fine. Today after 20 minutes I got the reboot. So I did a virus scan just to make sure. Nothing. Been running now for an hour with no trouble. What's causing these reboots I don't know. Having 'auto restart' disabled didn't work either. No error just a reboot.

Temp right now is 35C. Have to see how long I last this time. :D

Thanx all. :)

S'pose over clocking is like making love to a beautiful woman.

Needs a lot of love and care, not to much speed, slowly go up the gears till it gets like a Turkish Sauna then bang, fizzles back down to a slow melt, and y'all out of there.

Sure you get more speed, slow is good, fast is outrageous.

Get ready for the big melt. Just buy a faster cpu and try getting a trade in for your old, an old lamp for new etc....

{Thanks Swiss Tony for all your help during my first year of being a teen}

I have a pentium 4 @1.54 ghz also. I am happy being a slow coach. :p

Small Guide to OC:ing the P4.

#1. Never go above 1,7 vcore, that'll dramatically shorten the life of your cpu.
#2. Make sure you have appropriate cooling, the stock cooler will only get you so far.
#3. There's not just the cpu that gets hot during oc. Make sure to have good cooling on the Northbridge, and maybe the Voltage regulators (MOSFET:s) on your mobo.
#4. There's no guarantee as to what oc you will get, your friend who said your CPU can't run above 2.0 ghz is wrong, you'll just have to try it, every cpu is unique.
#4. Make sure your memory is running at stated speed, so that your cpu is holding you back, not the ram. Use the dividers.
#5. Increasing the voltage on your ram could get you somewhere as well. Don't go above 2.8V with DDR, unless you have ram that is stated to run at higher speeds.

Originally posted by zlin_

#5. Increasing the voltage on your ram could get you somewhere as well. Don't go above 2.8V with DDR, unless you have ram that is stated to run at higher speeds.

That should be higher voltages, not speeds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back