PC Anywhere?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Steevo, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

Problem; Can't get a connection tween 2 IP addresses.

What I have; I have a TZ170 Sonicwall firewall here at this store, and a ****ty Linksys gateway-router-firewall at the other store. I have the IP addresses of both stores, and we are both using the same ISP. I have enabled port forwarding on both firewalls. And have gotten the sign off form the man to have the ISP open up the remote store's IP to accept incoming traffic.

What is going wrong.

Oh yeah, there are about 10 other people who have/are also in control of the networks:confused: .

Someone shoot me, or give me a row of shots.

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I know SP2 has some networking issues, from my inability to get VPN to function.

NetRyder may have some more technical information, and is unlikely to agree with this suggestion, but have you tried the modified TCPIP.SYS? I know I have to use it for VPN to allow me to even connect to my corporate server. You should probbaly post up some more information about the configuration of the two systems, but right now I cannot think what.... someone else probably will though now I have bumped this thread for you

[EDIT] Is this actually a "PC Anywhere" question? IE is that the software you are using? Can each machine ping the other fine? Have you tried any other form of connectivity? I personally am not a fan of PC Anywhere and know there are other products out there, perhaps you might like to try some, but if that's the way you are going for whatever reason then check at their site if any issues with SP2[/EDIT]

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Considering the fact that Radmin, Remote Desktop and the VNC flavors work fine for remote management even with SP2 installed, I doubt the issue has to do with the new TCPIP.sys file. I could be wrong. Best way to eliminate the possibility would be to make a backup of the current file, and try the patched version. If it still doesn't work, you would know it isn't the culprit.

To me, it sounds more like a firewall/port forwarding issue.
    - Have you checked to make sure the built-in Windows Firewall is disabled, or is at least set to allow inbound access to the PCAnywhere listening server? Even though the router is correctly forwarding packets, the software firewall might be interfering.
    - Can you confirm that the specific ports are, in fact, open using a port scanner? You could, for example, use ShieldsUp on www.grc.com to scan the specific PCAnywhere port to verify that it shows up as "Open" rather than "Closed" or "Stealth"

Let us know. [​IMG]

4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I have had PCAnywhere11 working fine between mine and my dads machine over the net.

5. NetRyder

Post-SP2?

6. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

yup, on both ends.

7. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

The thing is the tech at the ISP is saying that we need a staic IP, but we have one. I think he is more lost than I am.

8. NetRyder

As I mentioned in the previous post, did you try a port scan to see if the PCAnywhere port is actually open?