PayPal Scammers are at it again :(

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Lee, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Yep like a merry-go-round.

Details

2. Kush

Kush High On Life!

their grammer is horrible, how can people fall for that

3. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

Because they are stupid.Some people just will not learn no matter how often they are warned :dead:

4. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Most people aren't warned.

5. Kush

Kush High On Life!

i was watching the news, and they were saying how this kind of thing which leads to fake sites and stuff to log in, can happen to anyone, but i highly doubt it could happen to me or any of our members, maybe hacking, but thats different we werent stupid enough to open a fake link or sign into a fake site

6. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Use spoof stick for I.E. or firefox, to doubley make sure you're not scammed.

7. Evil Marge

Well these people must be living under a rock then cause this kind of thing is all over the internet and news telling people to watch out.
    Even my parents who know nothing about the internet and have no interest in it whatsoever have heard of these scams :rolleyes:

8. SPeedY_B

It's not all over the internet just because it's on the web-sites you visit. On the grand scale of things, these warnings will rarely ever get to most people. It's a very very very small percentage of the internet's total user-base who actually know how to stay safe, and what to look out for.

9. Evil Marge

Watch the BBC news etc and you'll see stories warning people of every scam that becomes known.Thats where all my info comes from not the internet,same as my parents :)

10. SPeedY_B

Not everyone watches the news, let alone BBC news. There's a lot more people in the world than the UK. All I'm saying is there may well be a good quantity of people who fall for this crap who happen to be genuinely inept, but there is more likely a majority whom are quite simply uninformed.

11. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

oh noes dont deletate my accounts :p

12. SPeedY_B

Ironically, this actually just appeared in my inbox...

[​IMG]

... (I like the fact I have to do this before the 10th, yet I receive the mail on the 12th.) suppose I best go update my details! :p :D

13. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Mostly people who are really stupid or have no common sense fall for them things. The "Smart" person when getting a email like that would go to the "Real" website, click on the "Contact Us" link to send them a email to ask them about it. Or, they would get the phone number and call them ...

Something else, I been getting a lot of emails from banks who claim I have a account with them when I don't. They want me to update my account info with them. I bet that is fraud also ;)

Kush likes this.
  14. Kush

Kush High On Life!

lol, if u dont have an account with them how are u suppose to update it thats a funny one, thanks johnny u made me smile today

15. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

good thing i don't pay attention to those emails, i just delete them and log on to paypal.com and see if they posted any important announcements/changes there

16. egghead

egghead Double O Egghead

these things are more popular than people believe. that is what makesthem very dangerous. I have 3 different ones in my mailbox and i am nota member but i did second guess the fact for a minute.

If I was a member I would be a little worried and would probably clickthe link for more information. What many computer users do not know isthat these con artists may and could use exploits found in InternetExplorer and simply clicking on a link and visiting their website couldtrigger an auto-install of a key-logger or trojan on to your computer.These would install silently without any user interaction or prompts oninternet explorer If you have visited the seedy side of the web youmight have seen websites installing adware and spyware.If you go tothese sites with Firefox you will get a prompt warning asking you 'Doyou want whateverprogram.tmp or whatever etc.... to run on yourcomputer" message.

now if you use older version of java you can get similar problems but no warnings.

some websites freeze your browser and what they might be doing is downloading and installing additional software.

17. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

I scam the scam artists. Their website takes any login at all, and lets you in, or "update" your information, so i one time created a script which per second would post approx 5 times the amount of random crap i could. As in, just numbers that were generated by the PC, or /dev/random :p.

Funny øøøø, the site went offline the next day.

Got this today though, yet i don't have an account at paypal, ALSO, the IP is broken :p.

Note: I changed most of the innocent email addresses to not get them spammed.