Partition side on windows Xp?

H

HavoK_FIN

I have MAXTOR 6Y120P0 (master) and MAXTOR 6L080J4 (slave).

I use ontrack disk manager v9.53 to create partition 20480MB and Windows XP didn't show only 18,6 GB,

where are these about 2 GB?????.

I now that disk manager use 1000 to make partition and is that windows use make partition 1024.

1000 * 20 = 20000MB

1024 * 20 = 20480MB

:confused:

Are there another way to make partition and right side is that make correct side partition to 20GB not 18,6GB and don't lost any GB?????.

:mad: lost GB hunter :eek:

I assume you lose some HDD space by having a file system on the drive like FAT32 or NTFS.

Yeah, using NTFS or FAT32 takes up quite a bit of space, but I'm not 100% sure how much.

Also, I'm sure you know this already, but any Windows OS usually does not show a drive's full disk space.
i.e. a 1.44MB floppy when viewed in Windows would only show 1.39MB

From personal experience, I absolutely hate Maxtor's HD management software. It could very well be that the number you enter for the disk size is not the actual Value that the Maxtor partitoner uses. I HIGHLY recommend Partition Magic by PowerQuest and/or the partition Manager on the Linux Mandrake 9.1 install disk.

on a side note -

In the case of the floppy, the 1.44 is the space unformatted. the 1.38 is after the file system is written to the disk. Just like the HD scenario. The full disk space is 1.38 and that is what windows will display. You will need to adjust your numbers for the file system and the expanded HD table of contents - because it has to use some space for the break between partitions.

Windows XP is pretty accurate reading and displaying file and drive space. The windows 3.x and 95 core had issues displaying file sizes, as I recall because of some buggy coding.

The smaller the cluster size of a file system, the smaller the file system is. I don't think there is much of a difference between NTFS and FAT32.

I've never had the need for 3rd party partition software... I used fdisk with 95, 98 & ME (cant remember what I used for 3.1 - probably fdisk still) and the built in partition program (I create the partitions on Win2k/XP install and format the main drive (with windows on) and format the rest in windows after install is complete). New HDDs, I partition using the Disk Management section in "Computer Management" (part of the Administrative Tools).

What kind of benefits would using a 3rd party application give me over using the ones I have always used?

FDISK and the XP Admin tools are Destructive partitioners. If you have existing partitions and want to resize or add partitions, all your data will be erased.

Partition Magic allows you to do almost anything to your partitions without losing the data. Partition Magic has a very easy to use interface and error checking methods and precautions that FDisk does not. Partition Magic also has the ability to move key files to optimal locations for loading purposes, similar to the powertoy that Microsoft released just after XP was released. Partition Magic can also manipulate NTFS partitions, which FDisk cannot.

http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pmdetails.cfm

If you have a new hard drive and want to add partitions or delete partitions use FDISK. If you are going to be partitoning often, want the extra features, or want an easier interface, I would use a 3rd party program. FDisk is dated.

----
I use FDisk when I need to delete a partition quick and dirty, I use Partition Magic or the Linux partitioner for everything else.

If you get a bigger hd you can backup of your existing drive or you can clone the hd and all partionions with Norton Ghost 2003.

Hi HavoK_FIN
I have MAXTOR 6Y120P0 that I re partioned 3 days ago as I wanted use my 60 gb wd drive as a removable drive. I have win98se on part. (18.6gb) (should be 19.5gb), 1 data on part. 2 (69.8gb)(should be 73.2gb) and winxphome on part 3 (26gb)(should be 27.3gb). As you can see that makes 114.4gb (120gb)in total. There is 2 operating systems installed which take up space, and if you use certain tools you would also see that some of your harddisk is unallocated. My understanding is that MS uses this unallocated and inaccessible area for it's on purpuses.
The backeted numbers are based on 1024 bytes to the meg.

So Windows reports 114.4 gb which works out at 1073 bytes per meg.

All I can say is, NEVER believe what MS tells you. Get out your calculator and divide the bytes you self.

By the way I used maxtors partition program, and it worked like a dream. (maxblast3.exe)

ejm

ejm what tools did you use to see the unallocated space ?? and as i understand it harddrive makers use the system of 1000 bytes = 1 mB and win 1024 bytes = 1mB

It was some time ago now, but if I remember right. If you use ghost you will see it when writing image to partition and I'm nearly 100% sure that partition magic was one. There are others that will do it (partition programs), but I try out so many progs that the names only register when I think they are great.

ejm

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back