Paging files

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Brad, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

how do you change where your paging files go? i have a drive i would like them to go to.

Brad

2. on desktop right click on my comp icon, go to properies, click advanced tab, click settings under performance, go to advanced again, click change at the bottom. there ya go :) btw they say it should be 1.5 of your total RAM

3. Binary

Binary Guest

What if you've got 1 Gig of memory then? Best let Windows control it for a while and check to determinze the maximum size. Then set that as your minimum and set your maximum a fair bit higher.
    Even better to set this after you defragged, so the new pagefile is not fragmented. It then sometimes might get over the minimum, but th's cleared when no longer needed.

4. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

the pf shoul NOT be 1.5 ram, it should be NO LESS THEN 1.5 RAM WITH EXPANSION ENABLED...DO NOT SET THE PAGEFILE MAXIMUM AND MINIMUM TO THE SAME VALUE, IT IS COUNTR PRODUCTIVE

5. Perris Calderon

GOOD POST!!!

you can defrag the pagefile with this free pagefile deffrag program...

6. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Back to the original post. Brad would like to know how to move the pagefile to a different drive.

7. Perris Calderon

ya, good point, xs, as in order to place the pf on your disc, you need to move it to the associated partition, if you do partition

follow the directions in the posts above, to adjust the pagefile on each partition, dissable it on all but the partition you wnat it to be located

8. well in my my post i said "they say" meaning that i'm not really sure about that. sorry that i didnt make it clearer.