Page File size for Win2K Server

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by drdoug26, Dec 4, 2002.

1. drdoug26

drdoug26 Guest

Hi all,

Whats the recommended sizes for a paging file on Win2k Server? I've got 786 MB's of ram and my paging file is on a seperate partition thats 2.5 gigs in size. (last one on the disk)

Its currently 384 min & 768 max. (total use is 563)

Reason I ask is that I've got a few warnings that I was low on virtual memory and a resizing was underway.

2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

new york
    doug...your setttings are way too low even for normal use.

the initial minimum should be no less then 1.5 ram....there is no penalty for a pf too big, so experimenting with less then 1.5 is nothing but counterproductive

there is huge penalty for a pf too small, so don't even experiment with anything smaller then micrsofts suggested absolute minimum.

there is also no penalty for setting a humongous maximum, since the pf will only increase to does not increase to availability, in other words, if you set the maximum to 4096, the pf will not grow anymore then if you set the maximum to 2 gigs...same expansion, no matter how big, however if you have not enough room for expansion, then xp will be forced into using alternative backing stores...this will result unneccessary fragmentation, and less efficient use of memory

what you want, is your peak commit charge to always be lower then your minimum commit, on your bussiest day, add some headroom to the peak...this would be if you don't anticipate further memory use then what you are using currently...regardless of this number, don't goe lower then 1.5 ram for your server, as that is just a flirt with bad performance, even if you are correct in your assessment of memory useage

once you do ncrease the pagegile size, defrag the pf with a professional defrag utiliy like perfect disc, or this free pagefile deffrag program...
  3. drdoug26

drdoug26 Guest

Thanks Dealer!

Wow, that was a quick reply. I'll make the changes.

PS: I love your XP Tweaking thread!