P4 power connector or not?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wingman411, May 15, 2006.

1. wingman411

wingman411 OSNN Senior Addict

Do I need to connect the p4 power connector from the power supply to the motherboard if I have an AMD 2500 barton proccessor and a NF7S ver. 2 motherboard? If so, what does it do for me?

A person at the local pc shop said I should connect it. A web page says:

Newer ATX power supplies also have a special four-pin power connector (Figure 9), which is used with Pentium 4 mainboards. If you’re installing an AMD Athlon, you won’t need this special four-pin connector. Just leave it disconnected.

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Intel Motherboards have an additional 12v 4-pin P4 connector. AMD boards, as long as you have enough for the 20 or 24 molex connector, do not require this connection.

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

If the MB has a socket they intend for you to use it.

Some MB have a 24 pin main connector, some have a 20 pin connector and a seperate 4 pin connector (this is what is called the "P4" conenciton). Some have both. If the MB has both 24 and a seperate 4 pin you only need to use the 24 pin connector or the 4 pin connector, not both.

Your MB has a 20 pin connector and a 4 pin connector. Use them both. If the power supply doesn't have a square 4 pin connector there are adapters that will convert a flat 4 pin to square 4 pin. They cost a couple of $s.

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  4. wingman411

wingman411 OSNN Senior Addict

You were right, it has a 20 pin connection so I connected the extra 4 pin connector.