Outlook or outlook express question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by G-Money, Aug 6, 2003.

1. G-Money

G-Money Big Air

Too make a long story short ! I have 8 computers on a network ! Can you set up outlook or outlook express to use just one address book located on the server ?

Thanks

2. G-Money

G-Money Big Air

So, can anyone help ???

:eek:

3. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

you could use roaming profiles, but you would need a server for the network

4. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

To answer your long story short, yes

but are you trying to have one address book that all access or each has it own that user access from different machines?

5. G-Money

G-Money Big Air

different machines....... and only one address book.

6. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

one other question... if the address book is updated do you need everyone to reflect those changes automatically?? because that is more difficult.
    If you need a centralized address book just export the master address book and save it as a CSV (comma separated value) and just save to a share and have everyone else import it ...thats the easy way

7. G-Money

G-Money Big Air

Yes.
    :eek:

8. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

As far as I know, the outlook address book is combined in the pst file, so it cant be opened by more than one person at the same time (we tried this at work for the address book).

With Outlook Express, it uses the "Address Book" which comes with Windows, and therefore uses the "*.wab" file which to the best of my knowledge CAN be opened by more than one person. Might be worth putting some contacts into the Window's Address Book (Start, All Programs, Accessories, Address Book) and then export the file out to a server location. I think you could change something in the registry to tell Windows that the *.wab file is at a different location than the normal one.

9. G-Money

G-Money Big Air

Thanks.. I'll give it a try ! :)