Outlook Express: Why can't I delete msgs from inbox?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ChicagoJami, May 19, 2006.

1. ChicagoJami

ChicagoJami OSNN One Post Wonder

When I try to delete messages from my inbox, rather than deleting them, it just puts a line through them. It's really annoying and I can't figure out how to fix it. This is with Outlook Express, not Outlook.

Thanks!

2. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

When you highlight them, click the delete button or right click and hit delete it does this ???

3. ChicagoJami

yes. I can later go into "purge deleted messages" but I don't want to have to do that every time. I want it to just simply delete it.

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Unfortunately, that's all you can do. You are using IMAP, and you have to delete them, which causes the line, and then purge deleted messages. I had an IMAP account about a year ago and it used to drive me nuts.

Only solutions - switch to POP3 (if possible), or change your e-mail provider.

5. ChicagoJami

UGH! That is so annoying! thanks for the info, though. I have no idea how I can switch to POP3, I have comcast cable modem as my provider and I can't really switch :( That really stinks :(

6. kcnychief

Well it's not really your ISP, as Comcast would be - it is your e-mail provider.

If you use Comcast e-mail, such as your address would be user@comcast.net, they do offer POP3. Who is your e-mail provider?

7. ChicagoJami

My email provider is Comcast but I also have my work email (fusemail) fused with this outlook account so I'm not sure how that would all work. I wonder if fusemail *has* to be an IMAP.

8. kcnychief

Well as I stated, Comcast can use POP3. So, if you are using IMAP for them, you have the option to switch. Unfortunately, however, some mail providers, AOL for instance, only do IMAP for downloading mail.

May not be anything you can do about it.

9. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Comcast only uses POP3.

10. kcnychief

^^^^That's what I figured, but wasn't sure since I have never used or seen configuration of their e-mail client myself.

11. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

12. ChicagoJami

Okay, that's really odd. I have Comcast but when I set up my Outlook, fusemail help said I had to choose IMAP. How am I even able to use my Outlook if Comcast only uses POP and I'm in IMAP?

13. kcnychief

He is referring to Comcast e-mail, not the fact you have Comcast for an ISP (Internet Service Provider).