Outlook - Add Route for Exchange Server...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mainframeguy, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Mainframeguy

    Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

    Messages:
    3,763
    Location:
    London, UK
    Wasn't sure if this should be in networking, but I think the issue is largely my attempting to connect to the Exchange server from Outlook - so I am posting here.

    I should also mention this is somehting I am trying to use as a workaround, because since installing SP2 I can no longer simply make my VPN connection and get Outlook to connect through it to the server (an issue I have raised with M$ and subject of separate thread).

    However, I have found that if I manually enter ADD ROUTE for the telnet sessions I needed through VPN they work. I thought I would simply apply the same to get my outlook email working on the same machine (which helps me work so I can copy/paste patches and stuff more easily then). I found out the IP addie for the email server, entered the ADD ROUTE for it and can PING it.

    Trouble is in Outlook it works from a named server and I cannot ping the name - is there a way I can fix this?
     
  2. bush dogg

    bush dogg OSNN Senior Addict Political User

    Messages:
    433
    Location:
    Kansas
    Have you tried adding the server to "allowed sites" in the new pop-up blocker

    IE/tools/pop-up blocker/pop-up blocker settings

    maybe also disable the pop-up blocker to see if it works then and go from there.

    or add to "trusted sites" in IE?

    This link might help

    http://www.support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883575
     
  3. Mainframeguy

    Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

    Messages:
    3,763
    Location:
    London, UK
    Interesting - did not know you could be doing that sort of thing.

    Fact is I am using Mozilla, so have not really looked into IE and not aware of any cross over with OUTLOOK, but I will look into that and try adding as you suggest although I do not think it is going to make any difference.

    I did at one point even try adding OUTLOOOK as an exception program to the firewall, but that did not help either. The issue lies somewhere with VPN, I think, that and the way it operates under SP2 of course.

    Going to try your suggestions anyway, will edit in here if they work at all.....
    [EDIT] No.. no change, but I think there's a misunderstanding - I'm not trying to use WebAccess, I might even be able to do that but it is not what I want... I want to make my PPTP VPN connection into the company network then connect direct to the company server for Exchange, used to be able to do that before SP2. I can oh so nearly do it - can make the connection, can add a route for the IP addie of the server and can ping that, it's the server name required for outlook though and cannot ping that, like I said! [/EDIT]