Outlook - Add Route for Exchange Server...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mainframeguy, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Wasn't sure if this should be in networking, but I think the issue is largely my attempting to connect to the Exchange server from Outlook - so I am posting here.

I should also mention this is somehting I am trying to use as a workaround, because since installing SP2 I can no longer simply make my VPN connection and get Outlook to connect through it to the server (an issue I have raised with M$ and subject of separate thread).

However, I have found that if I manually enter ADD ROUTE for the telnet sessions I needed through VPN they work. I thought I would simply apply the same to get my outlook email working on the same machine (which helps me work so I can copy/paste patches and stuff more easily then). I found out the IP addie for the email server, entered the ADD ROUTE for it and can PING it.

Trouble is in Outlook it works from a named server and I cannot ping the name - is there a way I can fix this?

2. bush dogg

bush dogg OSNN Senior Addict Political User

Have you tried adding the server to "allowed sites" in the new pop-up blocker

IE/tools/pop-up blocker/pop-up blocker settings

maybe also disable the pop-up blocker to see if it works then and go from there.

or add to "trusted sites" in IE?

This link might help

http://www.support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883575

3. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Interesting - did not know you could be doing that sort of thing.

Fact is I am using Mozilla, so have not really looked into IE and not aware of any cross over with OUTLOOK, but I will look into that and try adding as you suggest although I do not think it is going to make any difference.

I did at one point even try adding OUTLOOOK as an exception program to the firewall, but that did not help either. The issue lies somewhere with VPN, I think, that and the way it operates under SP2 of course.

Going to try your suggestions anyway, will edit in here if they work at all.....
    [EDIT] No.. no change, but I think there's a misunderstanding - I'm not trying to use WebAccess, I might even be able to do that but it is not what I want... I want to make my PPTP VPN connection into the company network then connect direct to the company server for Exchange, used to be able to do that before SP2. I can oh so nearly do it - can make the connection, can add a route for the IP addie of the server and can ping that, it's the server name required for outlook though and cannot ping that, like I said! [/EDIT]