Our Favorite Tweaks

Not sure if this is already in here or not, if it is please forgive me :) I came across it and find it very useful :)

Getting a user to tell you their computer name can be a task at times, so this little registry hack will show the computer name when they hit CTRL + ALT + DEL or at the initial login screen, in the blue title bar.

Save the following text as a .REG file

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Welcome"=" --=={ %COMPUTERNAME% }==--"

ooooooooo that is a nice one

I came across it yesterday, have already found it to be very useful :)

This Prefetch tip can cut up to 7 seconds off your boot time:

1. First, go to C:\Windows\Prefetch and delete all contents of the folder
  2. Open Regedit, Navigate to
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
  3. Look for "EnablePrefetcher" in right-side pane.
  4. Right-click, set to Modify
  5. Change the value to 2, it will only prefetch Boot Items
  6. If you set it to 3, it will prefetch Applications and Boot Items.

mine was already set to 3 :\

That is the default setting, you can change it to two to "fetch" only boot files. I just tossed the 3 in there for explanation of it's value.

If you do though, make sure you dump the folder first.

If anyone can find this, I will owe them big time.

Is there a way that I can create a shorcut that will open a link in Internet Explorer? For instance, I want to be able to click that shortcut (or BAT file, whatever the case may be) and IE open and open that link. If I just do the: creeate shortcut, put webaddress in there, it will just use one of the same windows over again. This will help me a lot in my work. Thanks!

Kinda confused, do you want the shortcut to open in an already open IE window, or in a new IE Window?

EDIT: If you want IE to open in a new window, here is the reg entries

Navigate to : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.

Data Type: DWORD Value
Value Name: AllowWindowReuse
Setting for Value Data: [0 = Do Not Reuse Window / 1 = Reuse Window]

Exit Registry and Reboot

Umm, is setting IE to open a new window for each link not an option?

PS Kyn thanks. I had no idea how fat my prefetch list had gotten. Shaved 15 seconds off boot.

kcnychief said:
Kinda confused, do you want the shortcut to open in an already open IE window, or in a new IE Window?

Exit Registry and Reboot

I only want it to do it for that one shortcut though.

Not really sure how to do that, but I can poke around.

Wouldn't it be better to do that for all shortcuts anyways, incase you double-click something and it overwrites something you have open and wanted?

EDIT: Also, if you want something like a .BAT file to open in IE, you'd have to change the file association type.

The reason that I want it is this:

We use a web-based application here and I need to be able to have quick access to it in case one of my windows crahes. I don't want to get new window each time that I click a link though...

This should help:

In the Target field of the shortcut use this:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" http://www.google.ca

I won't find out until tomorrow, I am off Sunday and Monday. :)

I think perhaps a note of caution on this tweak to shrink down your title bars and fonts - I was idly playing around and took mine down to six point ariel - then noticed that in my task bar all the tray icons were shrunk to microdot size and rearraneged into a grid in the tray also, more seriously, looks like my quicklaunch toolbar has lost it's icons completely! Perhaps the tweak needs a little fine tuning or approaching with caution?

[EDIT] this reset itelf - possibly after a reboot - enabling the slimmer title bar tweak to be reatined without untowards effect [/EDIT]

Last edited:
kcnychief said:

Exit Registry and Reboot
I believe there is a user button that does the same thing in inernet options, I don't have the time to find it now

There is.

There is a box that can be checked or unchecked to "Reuse Windows in Internet Explorer". If that's unchecked, all shortcuts will open in new windows.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back