OS X Shares Suddenly Missing from Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by misterpatrick, Apr 1, 2005.

1. misterpatrick

misterpatrick OSNN One Post Wonder

Hello all,

I have a strange little problem with my Windows 2000 box and my Macs running OS x 10.3.8. I installed a new USB card in my Windows box along with the included USB drivers.

When I rebooted my networked mapped OS X shares wouldn't appear and I can no longer browse with Wondows to the Mac. I *can* however open up the Windows shares on both of my Macs. I can also browse the internet fine on the PC. I don't have another PC to see if this is something between the Windows 2000 and OSX or just something wonky with the PC networking.

So I think installing the USB drivers turned a service off or something. Does anyone know what this might be and how I can get things working again? Thanks!

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Have you tried toggling windows sharing on/off just restart the service on the Mac?

3. misterpatrick

Nope, that didn't do anything. It says "Network Path Not Found" and nothing shows up under Computers Near Me. How do I connect to a server using an IP address? Maybe that wil work.

4. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

It sounds more like a Master Browser issue. Try disabling/reenabling the Computer Browser service on the Windows PC.

5. misterpatrick

No luck with that either.

6. j79zlr

I am not familiar with OSX, but am familiar with Linux/Unix and windows file sharing, does OSX use samba?

Can you ping the 2k PC by IP and UNC path, and vice versa from the Mac's?

7. misterpatrick

I can browse the PC fine from the Mac, it's only the PC that won't see the Mac. That's why it's a little weird that it's only working the one way.

8. j79zlr

OK, but can you access the shares via the ip address. Just type \\192.168.x.x or whatever your OSX IP's are, into Start > Run.

9. misterpatrick

It says \\192.168..... network path not found.

10. misterpatrick

Anyone have any further ideas?