OS X 10.4.1 Discussion

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
First Mac OS X 10.4.1 seed emerges

Apple released the first seed of Mac OS X 10.4.1 to developers this week. The update, specified as build 8B9, corrects nearly two dozen bugs that have cropped up since Tiger's release last weekend, sources said.

Several issues with Address Book have been corrected, as well as crashes related to iSync, iCal, iDVD, and h.264 video playback. Sleep issues with some iMac models have also been remedied.

There's no word on when Mac OS X 10.4.1 is expected to be released. Also unknown is whether the update will activate Quartz 2D Extreme; the technology, new to Tiger, is curiously disabled by default on all systems running the new operating system.

-ThinkSecret

Rumors have been that we can expect it in the next 3-4 weeks.

An interesting note on Quartz 2D Extreme is that it is disabled by default. I haven't seen an explanation as to why, but this means there are probably graphical enhancements to be revealed if it's enabled. Apparently you can enable it by installing the developer tools and running the program /Developer/Applications/Performance Tools/Quartz Debug. It is in the Tools menu. The following line in Terminal is supposed to accomplish this as well:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean YES

Lovely. Always nice to see active development on discovered problems.

Yeah, I think that that 10.4.0 was "frozen" about a month before release, so they've really had a month already to be fixing bugs.

muzikool said:
Rumors have been that we can expect it in the next 3-4 weeks.

An interesting note on Quartz 2D Extreme is that it is disabled by default. I haven't seen an explanation as to why, but this means there are probably graphical enhancements to be revealed if it's enabled. Apparently you can enable it by installing the developer tools and running the program /Developer/Applications/Performance Tools/Quartz Debug. It is in the Tools menu. The following line in Terminal is supposed to accomplish this as well:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean YES
Yeah knew 10.4.1 wouldn't be far off as it was in talks before Tiger even hit the street. :D

On the Quartz 2D Extreme not enabled though I heard they were having issues/bugs with a line of hardware (forgot what model Mac) so they disabled it till they could figure out a way to fix it. Also I've heard the "hack" to enable it only works temporarily I believe.

Xie said:
On the Quartz 2D Extreme not enabled though I heard they were having issues/bugs with a line of hardware (forgot what model Mac) so they disabled it till they could figure out a way to fix it. Also I've heard the "hack" to enable it only works temporarily I believe.

Yeah, I've seen that mentioned as well now. Hopefully 10.4.1 will take care of those issues so that we can see what more Tiger can do! :)

We're still missing the display rotation that was rumoured to be a part of tiger. fortunately I can get it via the ATI drivers (As can anyone with almost any new0ish radeon card :)) native support would be nice though.

I've read a little about some people doing the rotation on laptops, but I'll admit that I don't know much about it in general.

Apparently there should be something like this:

rota27pb.jpg

rota39st.jpg

However it may only work on certain cards, and with Apple displays

SPeedY_B said:
We're still missing the display rotation that was rumoured to be a part of tiger. fortunately I can get it via the ATI drivers (As can anyone with almost any new0ish radeon card :)) native support would be nice though.
If you don't have that feature I feel bad for you. :p My Mac mini w/ only 9200 has that since Tiger update.

Attachments

• Tiger_monitor_rotation.jpg
    Tiger_monitor_rotation.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 113
Interesting. Perhaps it only applies to OEM cards, as my 9800Pro is a retail version.

<-CFB

That's because they're a pain in the arse to use when tipped on the side. (har har)

Not even when connected to an external display ?

dunno I havent checked that

it would be useful to do on the standard display though when you are reading a website but want to lie down at the same time. I usually tip my iBook on its side when I want to do that.

well it would be rather pointless (other than to read whilst lying down) to have rotation on a notebook unless it was attached to an external display.

I'd still like the feature on my PowerMac though, the only information that I can find is that it's present on machines with cards which support CoreImage, which mine does. The only difference being it's retail rather than OEM. Hmmmm.

I'm CoreImage compatible as well and no rotation option. :(

My onboard 9200 doesn't support CoreImage and has it. :p I don't see why it should matter if your card is OEM or Retail. If it supports it, it should work.

I don't see why OEM would make any difference either. Hmm...

OEM and Retail are usually completely different cards. Mostly (not any more though, due to new ACD's) the OEM cards featured a VGA+ADC, or DVI+ADC, where-as retail cards feature VGA+ADC.

As for your 9200 Xie, are you sure? I read that the 9200 does support CoreImage?

Edit: Guess not, the apparent list of supported cards is :
  • ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
  • ATI Radeon 9600
  • ATI Radeon 9800
  • ATI Radeon X800
  • nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200
  • nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
  • nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back