Opening in a new tab in Firefox

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by vern, Oct 15, 2004.

1. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I want to click on a link on an external program, but I want the link to open in a new tab in an existing Firefox window or if Firefox isn't open, to open Firefox.

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I know it's possible with one of the tab-browsing extensions...I just can't recall which one of them it is:

TabBrowser Extensions (TBE)
    TabBrowser Preferences
    SingleWindow

:S

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Okay I know this one is treading on thin ice but, thats one of the most annoying "lack" of feature in firefox. If it implemented true tabbed browsing when claiming to be a tabbed browser I think it would truly be a valid competitor to Opera.

So if all you Firefox fanboys and girls can get that kind of a patch into firefox I might very well use it more often :)

Woo managed to post about firefox without promoting opera...*almost posts url* :p

4. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I think any of those extensions will have that option..

You can also try typing in "about:config" in the address field which will bring up a whole bunch of configuration options.. There might be one built in (look in the browser.tabs.***** sections).. I'm not sure if it's built in or not since I do have the "Tabbrowser extentions" loaded and it adds more options in the about:config view

--fitz

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

As a Firefox user, I completely agree with you. :)
    I think Firefox should, by default, have a complete MDI. New windows shouldn't have to open unless they're (allowed) popups. But installing an extension that does it takes just a second or two, so I don't really mind.

6. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

I found the extension in Tabbrowser Preferences 0.6.13. I believe there are a couple other extensions that would do the same thing but this one had the most options. This should have been an option within Mozilla though. Thanks guys.