Omg The Baddest Computer On The Planet

• Thread starter cwalker2734
  • Start date
Seen this company posted on a few forums, until someone has one of these units in their home and proves it with pics etc, I ain't gonna believe it ;P

Originally posted by taurus
expensive, unreliable, a lot of extraneous heat, and not very quiet.

keep in mind refridgerators only kick on for a couple minutes every now and then. if the motor ran constantly it wouldn't take long for it to bust.

Actually a fridge is a bad example, it would probably have to be more of an air conditioner. And yeah it would be loud, generate lots of heat, condensation and who knows what pollutants.

Refrigerators are based on a different approach. They only need to kick on once in a while because they are heavily insulated.The vapo chill has to run constantly because it is under a continuous, high (for it's size) heat load.

Some food for thought. It's "do the math time again":

Hidden cost of a PC is the electricity. Figure 12 cents a kilowatt hours (yours may be higher or lower).

Average of 6 hours a day in use, 7 days a week is 42 hours times 52 weeks a year is 2182 hours a year.

Power consumption is 180W for a 17 inch CRT plus 350-450W depending on your cpu, ram and vid card.

450w * 1kw/1000w * 2182 hrs * $0.12 = $117.83 per year

Now add in a vapo chill system with a COP of 0.5 removing 100 W (CPU plus line losses). Close to $150 per year.

Now lets get really depressing. Assume 3 PC's in the house (spouse, couple of kids). Thats up to $450 per year.

But it gets worse. If you live in a hot climate you have to get rid of that extra 1200 kW-Hrs in the summer so add another 150% / 2 (half the year for air conditioning) to the amount of electricity used, assuming a high efficiency air conditioner. We're up to about $600 per year in electricity costs.

The good news is my computer room is nice and warm in the winter. :)

I had a point in here somewhere. Oh yeah. There's one hell of a lot of waste heat, burned fossil fuels and pollution associated with running that PC. Lets not make it worse by using vapor cycle compressors to cool them. We're just encouraging the CEO of Intel to make statements like "Well, I think 100W for a CPU is acceptable. It sure is, if he doesn't have to pay for it.

LeeJend - youre knowledge of electricity consumption and cost is admirable but...you meantioned a possible increase of $600 a year

SO -- $50 a month.. big deal if you have to worry about crap like that dont buy a computer, much less dont buy one that cost $42,000.00..agree ?
Is it necessary ? no, but then so much is unnecessary yet unchallenged and unnoticed. I hate to imagine what my system costs. 550W PSU, 21" CRT, and a bunch of junk. I swear every time I turn this thing on the guys at the electric company freak out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back