Old UPS batteries

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by X-Istence, Nov 30, 2007.

1. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Hey guys,

I have some old 12V 4.0Ah rechargeable batteries that I got out of old Belkin UPS devices. What is the best way to recharge them. Some of them have less than 1V left in them, when I put a meter on them.

I have a total of 8, I am just looking for a way to see if I can salvage them for other projects.

2. Erbmaster

Erbmaster Moderator Folding Team

I'm guessing you're looking to spend as little as possible if it's a salvage job.
    Only thing that springs to mind is a charger dedicated to the purpose.
    $19.95 will get you one. Just depends if the reward outweighs the cost i guess.

http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage4.htm

I'm guessing you've already looked for chargers, but this didn't seem a huge outlay to me for 8 batteries.
    Hope it helps :)

3. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

slow car charger. Also called a trickle charger. Or buy a solar charger as it will slowly charge them, but get them at least somewhat charged, as the lead plates will sulpherise and never take a charge again.

Most UPS batteries are just a regular 12v deep cycle battery with fiberglass mat in between the lead plates to hold the acid so it is almost leakproof. A regular car battery will actually outperform and outlast a UPS battery, but it might also leak.

4. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

It is indeed a 12V deep cycle battery. It is the same type of battery used on RV boats and whatnot. I have been considering getting an RV battery and using that instead, however they are very expensive.