Old DOS Games under XP

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by fishbone, Sep 1, 2002.

1. fishbone

fishbone Guest

Ok, so I have a collection of old DOS games, aka abandonware, and all refuse to run under XP. I've always known XP had a problem running old games but never took it seriously until now. So, do you guys know of a solution, or an emulator? Already tried running them Win95/98 compatibility mode, but no luck. Thanks!

2. WAM

WAM Guest

I have had very few problems running DOS games under XP...perhaps even fewer than under Win 98, what games/programs are you trying to run and what are the problems...i.e the same for evry program? etc?

Having said that tere are some good Dos emulators out there...

3. WAM

WAM Guest

4. fishbone

fishbone Guest

Thanks for the response. I d-loaded DOS Box, will try it out. The only problems I'm running into is DOS games, that's it. All the other progs run like a dream.

5. Terrahertz

Terrahertz Extinction Agenda Political User Folding Team

Has anyone hear got the original Quake to work on XP?

6. oerficus

oerficus OSNN Addict

What about trying out a dos emulator like VDM Sound? I just don't know for sure wether it only solves the sound problems.... Still most dos games work on my machine wth it.
    Try this link http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/

good luck

7. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

that's why I have Win98 SE on another partition just to play DOS games like Leisure Suit Larry!

8. fishbone

fishbone Guest

Yeah, I have multiple OSes too. Win Me and Linux Mandrake. But since I run so many apps I hate to boot under different os just to play 2-3 games