oh no!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by -seek-, Jun 8, 2005.

1. -seek-

-seek- OSNN Addict

I have XP Pro and was kind of messing around with folder sharing settings and trying to learn. Well, I ended up setting “Users (SYS1\Users” to “Deny Read and Execute \ List Folder Contents \ Read”. It was my downloaded files folder and I do have them on backup but I was wondering is there a way to gain access to these files and folders again or delete it all without formatting?

-thx

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

3. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

did you try going into safe mode and going in as admin ??

By the way, Rogers Waters flipping ROX !!

4. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

If that's not the case already, log in as Administrator and take ownership of the folder, then reasign desired rights to all users; that's what I would do...

5. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Yeah, take ownership of the folder and all the files and you should be fine :)

6. -seek-

-seek- OSNN Addict

I've been looking on Microsoft's web site and found a interesting section on it. There is no way to access that folder again or get it back for that matter even with my Admin account because anything in the Users group is blocked and the admin is in there. I already formatted the hard drive. So all is good... Just alittle stressed. :yowch:

7. -seek-

-seek- OSNN Addict

oh and btw, thank you all for the replies. :)

8. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Shame.
    Regardless of permissions, the owner of a file or folder will have the ability to change the permissions that are set on it.

And an admin, or a member of the local administrators group can take ownership of a folder.

Attached Files:

9. lol well that's windows, it takes ownership of the directories and the system too

10. -seek-

-seek- OSNN Addict

If I had two networked computers I would be able to get them back but I do not.