Official NV40 thread

I find it rather amusing that the bill gates thread has more views and responses than this :D

“As DOOM 3 development winds to a close, my work has turned to development of the next generation rendering technology. The NV40 is my platform of choice due to its support of very long fragment programs, generalized floating point blending and filtering, and the extremely high performance,” said John Carmack, president and technical director of id Software.
LINK

Im curious as to how he can make a comment like that without the other competition to test. Hmm maybe he has. Only the future will tell. Leave it to Carmack though to make a bold only Carmack can statement such as this.

because the nv40 likely has more functionality than the r420.. this is the same as with the r3xx v/s the nv3x... while the raw performance of the r3xx was better the nv3x had better functionality...

also don't forget ID does happen to have a marketing deal with nvidia :D

its a TWIMTBP game now...

TWIMTBP?..sazar you use to many of those...hehe...what does that mean?

yah... I aint gonna be typing the whole thing out all teh time lol...

Ok, this Geforce6 power stuff is getting me confused.

I have a more than adequete power supply (Which seems to be either 450-480w) but here is the bit that gets me stumped.

The Geforce6 ultra obviously has 2 molar inputs and requires that the dongles come in from two different bunches... Are we allowed to mix these bunches with peripherals or at least even fans?

there are some reviewers who are running the nv40 on sub-30W power supply units... they are testing it out for the heck of it...

Mike from nvnews ran his preview benches on a 430W psu and some other bloke managed to run his on a 200W psu (don't try that @ home :D)

keep in mind inadequate power supply will eventually cause problems and could damage both the mobo and the psu in the long run but in the interim it seems the overall power-draw was more precautionary than anything else...

EP.. I am sure you should be able to stick fan on but dedicating the cables to the vid card might be the best thing to do...

Well guys here are some pics for your viewing pleasure. As you can see the board is running in an Abit IC7G board with a gig of sweet Corsair.:)

Attachments

• 10817474486qLMOmeutS_1_14_l.jpg
    10817474486qLMOmeutS_1_14_l.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 10817474486qLMOmeutS_1_15_l.jpg
    10817474486qLMOmeutS_1_15_l.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 10817474486qLMOmeutS_1_5_l.jpg
    10817474486qLMOmeutS_1_5_l.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 10817474486qLMOmeutS_1_8_l.jpg
    10817474486qLMOmeutS_1_8_l.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 10817474486qLMOmeutS_2_1_l.gif
    10817474486qLMOmeutS_2_1_l.gif
    43.2 KB · Views: 89
Yeah, Sazar I talked to Pidge, he said it would be ok,.

if anyone can post some PSUs with the two dedicated molex connectors would be nice...the psu is the part of the computer I know the least about and would ilke some help...

well most have quite a few, but you tend to take em up with hard drives, cddrives, fans and lights.. :)

Looks Like Nvidia might have a winner fellas. Check this out and all You FAR CRY players front and center.

Nvidia cuts ATI off at the gulch with Far Cry support
THE AMAZINGLY good looking game Far Cry has support for the shader model 3.0 but that's currently supported only by Nvidia's Geforce 6800 cards.

This is the first time in history that some new marchitecture got support from the first moment of announcement. We are talking about a retail shipping game since it was not hard to see some fancy looking demo in the past that supported just about anything that graphic companies inserted in its chip transistors. ATI doesn't have Shaders 3.0 while Nvidia is happy to show off that it has, happily showing us in Geneva how even the next generation Unreal engine has massive support for this nice feature.
This I make up not. The Inquirer has the news HERE

ftp://hoc:hoc@www.jatekok.hu//hardwareoc/News/farcry.zip

http://www.gamers-depot.com/interviews/dx9b/001.htm

Bart Kijanka – CTO Gas Powered Games:

GD: A lot of attention has been paid to NVIDIA's support of Pixel Shader 3.0 - can you specifically think of anything PS 3.0 can be used for that can't be done in PS 2.0?

Bart: Currently it appears the impact of 3.0 on developers will be minimal. Therefore it's unlikely the consumer will see significant benefits from 3.0 for quite some time, especially since the improvement of 3.0 over 2.0 isn't as great as 2.0 over 1.0.

GD: Is there ever a need to use 32-bit precision over 24-bit? I'm looking for an example where 32-bit precision shows an obvious superiority over 24-bit - both are considered "Full precision" by the current DX9 spec.

Bart: We don't have an identified need for 32 bit precision at this time.

GD: As a developer, how much are you influenced, if at all, by the likes of NVIDIA's "Way its meant to be played" or ATI's "Get in the Game" programs?

Bart: We like to ensure our games work on the majority of video hardware regardless. The card vendor certification initiatives seem to affect marketing more than development.

GD: How far away do you think we are until we see PS3.0 and 32bit Precision support become relevant as a "must have" feature in graphics cards?

Bart: Several years. I expect it won't be a "must have" until 3.0 shader support is present in 80% or more of the installed user base.

GD: As a gamer, would it be more important for you to buy a video card with the utmost in performance and supported 24bit precision and PS2.0 or one slightly behind in performance but had PS3.0 and 32bit precision support?

Bart: Highest performance wins.

GD: A lot of attention has been paid to NVIDIA's support of Pixel Shader 3.0 - can you specifically think of anything PS 3.0 can be used for that can't be done in PS 2.0?

Rowan: I can not think of any effects that can be done in PS 3.0 that can't be done in PS 2.0. Under PS 2.0 they might take some extra passes, or maybe a few more instructions, but the final result should exactly match the equiv PS 3.0 Shader.

GD: And can you tell me if there's ever a need to use 32-bit precision over 24-bit?

Rowan: If there is, I haven’t found it yet I’m still finding even 16bit precision is suitable for most real-time shaders at the moment. I imagine that once people start doing all sorts of crazy procedural material generation within the Shader that 32bit might be necessary, however I think we are still a ways off from there in terms of required hardware speed.

now for CRYTEK

ATI says that CryTek's representative told it that what Nvidia showed us in Geneva was a 2.0/3.0 path versus 1.1 path.

A CryTek representative responded on this matter with this answer: "Was Nvidia showing SM3.0 vs. SM2.0 or SM1.1?" He replied to his own question by saying that Nvidia was showing 3.0/2.0 vs. 1.1.

I highly recommend you take the Inq's information with a massive pinch of salt unless the information is corroborated by a VALID source :)

Reading your stuff is like religion man. Plus what you just post makes a lot of sense. But isnt several years a little to far fetched. Graphic technology jumps every couple months. I cant imagine shader 3.0 to take several years to implement. Plus that last info from Crytek.:mad:. Man I tell ya. Leave it to Nvidia to pull a fast one.

its taken almost 1.5yrs for games to have ps2.0... and its still only in little bits.. we are perhaps a year or two from an almost entirely ps2.0 game.. 3.0 is not that great a progression visually.. techncially though it certainly is a good thing..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back