Off topic, but I need your advice anyway

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Engineer, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Engineer

Engineer OSNN Addict

I know this is way off topic but I've received such useful information, feedback, ideas in the
    past here in regards to the topic of interest that I thought I would ask this anyway.

I am thinking about purchasing a DVD player but do not know much about them. I need a suggestion
    from someone about a message board or forum out there in the WWW that has discussions on buying
    new technology (DVD, Stereo's and such) for consumers.

Thanks for reading and my apologies for posting off topic.

If no one can help me out please feel free to delete this post.

2. koko

koko Got Root?

i highly recommend looking through some current issues of 'consumer reports'.

you go do this for free at your local library. :)

'consumer reports', if you're unfamiliar with them, is an indepedent group that tests/rates all kinds of consumer products.

3. lechtard

lechtard Guest

I agree with koko -

I bought a Apex 1500 - they don't make them anymore, but they play everything .. pretty much any dvd player you get now does .. you just have to look around and see what suits your needs, you can get one for around $50.00 ..

4. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

5. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

I might stay away from Apex, they seem to last about a year for many. Best to avoid the $50 units, for a few bucks more ($70) you get a more versatile player. Seems most newer units now list what they will play, MP3, WMA, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, VCD, DVD+R, etc. Some units can even play MPEG's and JPG discs directly.

This site may help:
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

6. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

Thread Moved - By Me

your Friendly Neighborhood [PseudoKiller]

7. syn

syn long live xp0!

i got my standalone from best buy not too long ago, not sure of the model off hand, for 99 bucks...its a philips and it plays everything (vcd, svcd, dvd-r/rw, mp3, cd-r/rw, jpg) well worth the investment, plus it has progressive scan but only good if you have hdtv :p

8. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Yes, and the new DP-500 also has an Ethernet port to play DivX, MP3 and so on over your home network or listen to Internet radio. I'm thinking of getting one. Seems it can't read DVD+R(W) though... :(

9. Herkalees

Herkalees Guest

Bah to consumer reports, e-mail me and I'll tell you everything you need to know about DVD players...

Consumer Reports are usually good, but always a bit late, because by the time their reviews are posted, the product is old news.

I've worked in the Home Theater industry for too long, I'll tell you anything you need to know

herkalees@yahoo.com

10. dubstar

dubstar format c:

I have an Apex.. i suggest getting a different brand. even though it is good quality, the player itself is LOUD! It does play a lot of stuff though.