Odd sound problem(s)

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Helmer, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Helmer

Helmer Questions R me

I tried to open a movie with WinAMP 2 and all of a sudden my sound stopped working on all applications(no the plug did not fall out :D)

I've removed winAMP, reinstalled the sound drivers and now the sound works when I run some applications and some games - if I run DXDIAG it says:

Error: Problem getting extra sound info, result code: 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, souch as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)

I can't figure out what's causing this so any help would be much appreciated :)

2. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

looks like something else is using your sound card and it is not letting anything else go on it at the same time.

Brad

3. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Check Task Manager...might give an idea what program is using it.

4. Helmer

Helmer Questions R me

Well I gathered that another application was using part of the sound, when I run a game like UT2003 the sound works fine though..

I've checked taskmgr but I can't seem to see what the problem is :(

5. Goldy

Goldy Guest

Check Device Manager in Safe-Mode for other sound devices that have not been installed correctly. You could also check for Conflicts in Sys info.

6. Helmer

Helmer Questions R me

Hm.. how do I get to safe mode in WinXP?

7. Helmer

Helmer Questions R me

Noone can help?

8. when xp boots up hit F8 it'll kick u to menu where u can select it.

try going to control panel>sounds and audio devices> and look around there to solve your problem maybe.
    also in winamp go to preference>output> click configure button for already highlighet plug in(if u click on another one it'll change yout out put way) and try changing default card to use when playing. try that i hope this helps. maybe try to reinstall direct x.??