NTFS or FAT32

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
I have about 40 gig of mp3's and divx, my primary drive is NTSF, will keeping the MP3's and divx on a FAT 32 partition be any faster?

yes & no - fat32 the less compressed is the faster BUT it can only read & write as fast as windows will allow. Also these files dont need the NTFS treament & one more thing; you cant fill a NTFS partition like you can FAT32

your mp3 and films should be on a ntfs partition as it is a lot more secure you do not require these files to be accessed quickly so put them on a ntfs partition

fat 32 can access files quicker that ntfs but this is not needed all my drives are ntfs as my kids us the pc ntfs only writes to free space which means it will write until the end of the drive ignoring all the files that have been deleted until all the free space has been used thus you can mostly recover any lost data
plus ntfs manages data much more efficiently than fat32 which means less defraging

Goldy
why would you want to defrag mp3s & movie files ???
& as for NTFS writing to the end of the drive REALLY ??? & what about the chunk of Meta data files & free system space in the middle of your drive ??

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45
Goldy
why would you want to defrag mp3s & movie files ???
& as for NTFS writing to the end of the drive REALLY ??? & what about the chunk of Meta data files & free system space in the middle of your drive ??
[/QUOTE

all files that are accessed get fragmented as they have to be uncompressed to read them
and certainly if you have 10gig free space and you lose data you will be able to write about 7 gig and still retrieve the lost data whereas fat32 writes in the first space it comes to

mp3 on fat32

keep them on fat32 because if you ever want to change OS's it's the best choice. Plus if you even have to reformat and put XP back on (which if your familliar with windows you have to do this almost religiously) you might lose some permissions (remembering those NT days).

keep them on fat32 it's easier.

and gamers should leave games on the seperate drive which is fat32. it's a lot easier and faster.

oh yeah

fat32 IS faster. i dunno who said differently but you're wrong. pay attention to benchmark testing that's not funded by microsoft and you'll get accurate information.

all files that are accessed get fragmented as they have to be uncompressed to read them

REALLY !!!!! these movies have been on this drive for a couple of weeks now & have been accessed countless number of times !!!
have you even got a FAT32 partition ??
;)

FAT32.JPG

it is recommended that you defragment this volume

can u not read

:D thats because its NEVER!!!! been defragmented - notice how I put a circle around the average file size, with files this size on a small 9gig partition a defrag would split the files making the drive full, which is not a good idea (system restore disabled itself because one the drives was full) - OK here's how to do it select enough files to fill 90% of an empty FAT32 partition, youv'e gotta do this in one go other wise they'll fragment, now cut & paste the whole lot into the empty drive & thats HOW to fill a FAT32 partition. with large files.
:p
how.gif

fat partitions are you aware that you can create these using fdisk
or do you format a partition on to a drive ????????
do you know how to use fdisk ??????????
in fact how did you learn how to use that pc of yours ?????
i can remember a little boy who could only just tie his laces
and as for fat partitions ive got four on the wife alone:D

ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE

Spam? I like bread pudding, anybody else like bread pudding?

:cool:

Spam you cant eat that do know whats its made of ??
urgh !!!!!!!!

spam.jpg

Originally posted by avsdotcom
Good god it's like Tuesday night :eek: ;)
Hey Avsdotcom have you got a crystal ball or what ??? cos according to your post your 24hrs in front of the rest of us
:p

This is for Goldy

1. FDISK
2. delete non DOS partitions
3. create primary partition
4. activate partition
5. create extended partition in remaining space
6. create logical partitions within extended partition
7. format partitions
8. setup
9. see pic for proof

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back