Not able to start up.... missing hal.dll PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by steveklebs, Jan 18, 2002.

1. steveklebs

steveklebs Guest

Hello everyone, I tried to boot up today, however I got an error that says

I have just coppied a file from my friends computer, however, I do not know how to reinstall it considering that I am not able to boot up!!!

Please tell me how I can reinstall this from my A drive

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

steve@email.ky

2. gothic

gothic LinuXPert

Yeah, Boot your machine using an old 98/95 boot floppy or CD, this will take you to a DOS prompt, then just copy your file.

ta ta

TOK:p

3. WildOptic

WildOptic OSNN Member

Just must ask what version of Windows is this?

4. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

just copying the file might not be enough, sounds like something hosed XP, you might wanna pop in ya XP cd and do a repair installation

5. WildOptic

WildOptic OSNN Member

Try running the system restore from the XP cd on start up check out MS site for detail on how to use it. Its a issue I had with my Windows\system32\config\system.

6. WildOptic

WildOptic OSNN Member

Realizes where the forum is Xp-erience.com and places his head donw in shame for such a dumb question...what version of windows...lol...its late..sleep...good

7. steveklebs

steveklebs Guest

I will try to boot with an old 98 cd.... as for the option of booting with the XP cd, I got it off of my MSDN Developer CD which is a DVD, so I dont know how to open that without having windows running already.

Thanks for anymore help... do you think I can call Microsoft and have them help me, dare I say, for free?

Thanks again!