norton problems

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Perris Calderon, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

at work the idiots are using the norton suite, one of the units a window pops up warning that live protection is not enabled, then it won't let me enable it

the window pops up about every 45 secs and makes work impossible

I just popped in to take a look, haven't done any scans yet

is this common with this peice of security elegance?

what's up?

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Could a memory-resident virus be attempting to disable the realtime scanner? Check for any suspicious running processes.

3. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I have seen this on the home product NAV when activation gets messed up for some reason and the product thinks the trial period is over.

Symantec has a utility to fix it but not sure that is your issue.

Utility is HERE

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  4. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

thanx will go over this tomorrow

5. bush dogg

bush dogg OSNN Senior Addict Political User

Hey Perris I think American Zombie hit it on the head I updated my old Norton software to NIS 2005 3 user for all 3 systems. It did Ok until the trial period ran out 15 days and it wouldn’t activate on any of the systems it done the same as you’re describing.

I used all the tricks on the Symantec site with no success at activation. I also used the utility for activation problems SymKBFix3 (it adds or changes a registry key if I remember right).

I now use other security software (I just couldn’t get the software to activate on anyone of the 3 systems and run right) Symantec also sent me a replacement disk that I went through the same pop ups and activation problems with.

I would suggest if you have anything important on that system to make a backup before running the activation utility it really screwed things up on my systems all three.

Also I would suggest a full system backup or not mess with it until you have a lot of time to fix a major problem if it happens to you as it did me.

It was a BIG nightmare for me.

Good Luck!