norton internet security 2003

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by quechubin, Aug 18, 2003.

1. quechubin

quechubin Guest

i have the norton's firewall up and i keep getting the same message a bunch of times a day. the message is:
    "A remote system is attempting to access Microsoft Generic Host Process for Win32 Services on your computer"
    and then it asks me if i want to permit (recommendec) or block or configure manually. i always choose block but i wanted to know if i should permit it and what this actually is. thanks in advance.

2. SkazzyUK

SkazzyUK XP-erience Oldie

sounds like a windows internet process, u cud leave it on always allow

skazz

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Moved to Security

4. SkazzyUK

SkazzyUK XP-erience Oldie

ok, my mistake (slaps himself)

I'll keep my nose out of security in the future, i'd make a good security guard....not

5. Tiesto

Tiesto OSNN Addict

Yes, if you supplied the port number it came from and what type of scan (TCP/UDP) that would be helpful in telling what it is :)

6. I have Norton Internet Security and Norton Systemworks Pro both 2003 versions. I allowed Microsoft Generic Host Process for Win32 Services to come and go from my computer onto the net and I have no problems with any way of my computer.

I believe this is what Windows finds out if your connected to the net and does a few net jobs such as checking auto updates and etc. When I denyed this once before, I would not get some of my Windows components to access the net. So my suggestions are to accept Norton's recommendations.