Norton AV 2002 Auto-Protect

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Fenris, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Fenris

Fenris OSNN Senior Addict

I have Norton Anti Virus 2002 and i just upgraded to windows XP and i cant seem to get the Auto-Protect to work. it gives me a error every time i try to enable it. Does windows XP have a virus protection program that would be causing the problem?

2. Mr. K

Mr. K OSNN Occasional

What exactly does the error say? As far as I know, XP does not have its own virus protection, so it'll help if we know exactly what the error says.

If you performed an upgrade--and not a clean install--to XP, it's best that you uninstall and then reinstall NAV. The way NAV was configured in your previous operating system is probably incompatible with your current setup, so your solution might be just as simple as reinstalling. If not, tell us that error message...

Good luck.

3. Fenris

yeah i clean installed XP and also reinstalled NAV 2 times same thing happend. the error says

Error: Unspecified error
    code: 0
    URL: res://D:\Norton\NORTON~1\NAVUI.dll/navstats.htm

do you want to continue running scripts on this page? yes or no

If i hit yes or no nothing happens.

4. Mr. K

Mr. K OSNN Occasional

Have you checked this page on Symantec's support site? It seems to address your problem (similar error message).

I hope it helps...

5. Fenris

ahhh thanks i didnt even think of looking on there site ill read about it hopefully it fixes it

6. Fenris

alright it works now just needed to upgrade to IE6 SP1

7. Fenris

Alright NVM it doesnt work anymore it has something to do with the windows startup i think. Since if i go to administrator tools and just manualy start it, it works.

8. Eck

Eck .user

Ah, are you referring to the "Norton Antivirus Auto Protect Service" in the services? If that's the case (which it has to be), just set that to automatic instead of "disabled" or "manual".

9. Fenris

It was on auto but every time windows starts up it starts disabled for some reason.

10. Lee G

Lee G Guest

If you disable a service called task scheduler norton won't update correctly and can disable auto start for AV.

If you get a red cross across the icon in the notification area just right click it and enable it. It might get the message in future.