No Links

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by omgsoup, Jan 2, 2003.

1. omgsoup

omgsoup OSNN Senior Addict

when i open an email (say a forum update from ntfs.org), and it gives me a link, and i click on it, IE opens up, but there's no address in the address bar. also when like WMP9 is like "click here to update" it'll open IE, but with no address in the address bar. how can i fix this?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

If you get no other ideas you could try doing a repair of IE.

3. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Moved to Applications

4. Waldo

Waldo Guest

There is an MS knowledge base article with the fix for this, deals with having to register a url.dll file but I cannot remember the name of the file.

5. allan

allan Guest

See if this helps:

Start
    Run
    type: regsvr32 urlmon.dll
    enter

6. omgsoup

hmm, it said it was successful, but i've just done it and am now too lazy to restart. i'll report back when i do.

7. Alan

Alan its only fun

Hi BenQuilter,

If you mean I.E. is opening blank empty windows, try this

Run the following commands from start/run. Run each line individually. After each run, you should see a short message stating the command was successful. The first command is the one most likely to work.

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
    regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 Shell32.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

I dont think you need to restart your computer, just close and re-open I.E.

Hope this helps you

8. omgsoup

hmm, i did all of those command lines, and they all worked, and then i closed IE and it still didn't work. i'll try a repair of IE

9. omgsoup

hmm, i fixed it. it might've had something to do with me going into the thing that SP1 added where you can choose your default browser, email, etc, and i specifically chose IE, and not "default browser" and then i clicked a link and it worked. or maybe i did something wrong w/ the cmd lines and they started working. who knows?

10. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

What does the 'regsvr32' do?

11. Alan

Alan its only fun

When you run the command it checks that you have the correct version for your system, and they are correctly registered, after each command you should get a short message stating the command was successful.

Alan

12. yoyo

yoyo _________________

You can use the Regsvr32 tool (Regsvr32.exe) to register and unregister object linking and embedding (OLE) controls such as dynamic-link library (DLL) or ActiveX Controls (OCX) files that are self-registerable. This may be necessary to troubleshoot some issues with Windows, Microsoft Internet Explorer, or other programs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249873