no FDD in XP

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GoNz0, Mar 27, 2003.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

I got my old pc come in for a service today and it has no FDD showing in windows, i replaced the FDD and the cable and still nothing, BIOS see's it just fine, but not XP, google let me down this time, anyone got an answer ?

its also had a format and reinstall, but still nothing :(

2. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

check the cable is the rite way round if you look its got a twist. thats happened to me. but still a very wierd problem:huh:

3. Erbmaster

Erbmaster Moderator Folding Team

I agree, try the non-twisted connector if you have one.

Alternatively, you can usually tell if you have the cable the wrong way around on the pins 'cos the light works in reverse...i.e. it stays on and goes off when it attempts (unsuccessfully) to access the disk.

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

ok i got it working in the most unusual way, as floppy drive B before the twist in the cable. shows as A in XP, bus is on the B channel :s

5. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

thats pcs for you:D

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Odd it wouldn't show... XP shows a floppy even if there's none installed! (I've tried)

7. ruiner_066

ruiner_066 OSNN Addict

the same thing happened to me after installing Easy CD Creator 5, except that both of my $*(&ing cdrom drives disapeared, not floppy...i did a system restore & threw away my Easy cd creator cd & everything was fine