Newly bought software, can't re-install again.

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi. I just bought a software from the internet and after I had installed it I had put a login name. When I had opened the software again it asked for my login name but I forgot it so thinking quick I had uninstalled it. When I was installing it again there was a window that came out that said that I can't install it again since it has been installed in my computer already. How can resolve this? Is there a way I can edit the registry? Where to find it? It's a $75 software exam that I had bought for my wife. Thanks.

Well first of, there is probably a way to delete the traces in the registry like you mentionned, as long as the software is not using anything too sofisticated to track previous installations (like hidden files or hidden keys in the registry that you can't easily find...). You should start by deleting the program folder after uninstalling it, then look for anything in both HKEY_LOCAl_MACHINE/Software and HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software for anything that has either the name of the software (plain and simple) or the name of the company that made the software.

Delete those keys once you're sure it's related to that software, and try to reinstall.

If you still can't do it, I suggest that you contact the technical support of that company. You paid for a piece of software and they can't prevent you from reinstalling it on the same computer! That is illegal! Unless the license agreement specifically says so (which I highly doubt) you can probably not install multiple copies legally on other computers, but you should be able to reinstall it on the same PC...

They HAVE to let you reinstall. What if your PC just crashes and you have to reformat? You'd have lost 75$?? No way. Try the above and let me know what you find.

PS. What is that software anyway? (Do you have the website link?)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back