newbie question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by seperatist, Aug 12, 2004.

1. seperatist

seperatist OSNN Senior Addict

my wife wants to set up a wireless network for my comp to hers. i have no idea where to start. we would like to stay under $150 for everything if possible. we are both running xp home and her comp will be about 10ft away. i am also on cable.

any help?

2. seperatist

i guess this must be a dumb question but i honestly have no idea what to get.

3. Ohzopants

Ohzopants My mom thinks I'm cool

check out the networking section at bestbuy.com.

My personal opinion is avoid d-link at all cost, I know linksys is good (but usually a bit more $) and Netgear I have never used.

All you really need is a wireless router and two wireless pci cards.

Someone else here might be able to explain what the difference between 802.11b and 802.11g is.

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

This article should be simple enough to understand, and it should tell you pretty much all you need to know.
    I have had both Netgear and D-Link routers, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either of them - they've both been solid, reliable devices. Shop around online. I'm sure you'll be able to get the wireless router and the two wireless cards for under $150.

5. seperatist

she doesn't want the wires going across the living room floor. fashion is expensive.

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Get a wireless router and 2 PCI cards. A kit would be simplest and should have all the cables a router and 2 PCI cards. Get ones that say "G" standard. B is slower and less robust security. The only problem is getting through walls with wires and pipes and airconditioning ducts in them.

Dlink or Linksys are fine.

Look for a sale at best buy or compusa. Total price should not be over $100 and you may get lucky and come in for under $80.

If you don't like the one you get return it and try another.

Setup should be trivial. Use the wizard.

Enjoy!

PS If you don't have a best buy or compusa use www.newegg.com. But returns becomes a pain with mail order.

7. seperatist

can i leave the router near my comp and use a wire and just get the pc card for her comp? that should save me some money.

8. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Yep, that can be done too.