Newbie at Wireless, need help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eiji, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Eiji

Eiji OSNN Addict

2. Eiji

Eiji OSNN Addict

I guess no-one knows... :bored:

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Sorry, must have missed this thread earlier. :)

The ADSL modem/router should be fine, but the PCMCIA wouldn't be of much use unless you have a laptop (although you're getting it free apparently, so it doesn't matter).
    In addition to the router, you're going to need a wireless PCI card for the desktop PC. Connecting that to the wireless router should be less than a minute's job. I haven't ever owned a PS2 or an XBox, so I don't know how they would connect wirelessly, but I'm sure someone else here should be able to offer their tips on that one.

4. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

there's an alternative to the PCI card - one I use myself for my stepdaughter ageing machines - this is a dongle for the USB connection. Has to be USB2. They retail around the same as the PCI cards, maybe a little more but they are easier to keep and transfer between machines and they can sometimes be bought bundled with a WAP (how I got my pair) which drops the price.

BTW you should also find configuring a breeze is you run SP2.

Post back when you get nearer top commiting on purchase and/or setting it all up - also consider ranges and layouts and required cabling beforehand (although a 25m CAT5 will keep ALL you options open for where you site the broadcasting antenna!).

5. Eiji

Eiji OSNN Addict

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Use the first USB adapter posted. The second one uses proprietary (i.e. non-standard technology to boost speed and there is no advantage with the 614 router.)

Netgear is ok quality, features and good prices. I have the WGR614. Range does not seem to be as good as people claim for other brands but I have a crappy PCI card in my only wireless computer so I can't be sure if it's the router or the card.