[New Toy] Zune 80GB

I use the smallest ones and they fit well. I tried all the sizes and besides the smallest ones made me feel like my head was going to explode.

I used DVDx and it crashed everytime I tried to use wmv. No idea why but will see if I can work it out. I'm going to try MobiDVD next and see how that goes.

It would be nice if MS just released some good converting software that was all in one.

I would have to say the reason they don't is that they hope to generate money from the zune marketplace

For us computer guys we do everything any way but pay for it (usually)...

On a side note, Zeke, look at our rep, posts and power, it's all very very similar.

My Zune 80 is up to date but I'm getting really poor battery life. I mainly watch videos but I'm not getting anywhere the claims I should. I have wireless turned off but does anyone else have any settings or tricks to get it to last longer?

even watching videos on the ipod zaps the life out of the battery

turned the video brightness down and seemed to squeeze a little more time out of it.

Still looking for holy grail of video conversion though...tried super but wouldn't even open on my x64 vista box.

Zune Software 2.3 was released a few days ago, make sure to pick it up
Thanks for the intro, lil! Here's the list of fixes in this update-
  • Fixed top crashing bugs submitted by users
  • Fixed bug where Zune software thinks the device memory is full (but isn’t)
Key Marketplace fixes
  • Allow users to view top music videos in marketplace
  • Misc improved error messaging including splitting sign-in issues into 4 separate errors for customer and support benefit
  • Resolved most cases where retrieval of subscription download history stalls
  • Better handling of accounts that have expired credit cards
  • Podcasts with spaces in their name can now be subscribed to
  • Marketplace no longer blocks explicit content purchases when parental controls are set to allow
  • Points balance label is now updated when user purchases new points
Key Player UI fixes
  • Allow zooming in/out (2x, 4x, fullscreen) during video playback to prevent stretched playback
  • Ability to switch Zune to GDI mode through command-line parameter
Key Podcast fixes
  • Allow subscriptions to podcasts larger than 10MB
  • Fixed some parsing errors that prevented some podcasts from syncing to the device
  • Fixed bug where podcasts were unsubscribing themselves
Key Setup fixes
  • Fixed numerous bugs affecting build to build upgrades
  • Improved installation for users accessing from corporate networks
  • Fixed driver uninstall failures
  • Included device 2.3 firmware in client download
  • Failure in creating system restore point no longer blocks client installation
Key Sync fixes
  • Fixed issues with reverse sync
  • Fixes issues with sync meter UI showing incorrect information as to what is on the device
  • Fixed issues using wireless sync with multiple devices to the same PC
  • Fixed a few different issues setting up wireless sync
  • Device is no longer being reported as full even after deleting large file from device
  • Device content is no longer being turned into guest content when it shouldn’t be
  • Content with bad metadata now shows properly so it can be removed from device
  • Turning off “autolaunch when a Zune device is connected” no longer prevents “Sync Now” from working from a wirelessly connected device
  • Podcast bookmarking is now transferred/saved to the device
  • Wireless sync connection continues to work after rebooting host computer
  • Unsubscribe podcast from device now works properly
  • Changing album art in the client now updates the device as well
  • Duplicate tracks are no longer synced to the device twice
Key Xbox Streaming bug fixes
  • Xbox Streaming now monitors the rip folder if user changes default location
  • No need to reinstall client to fix Xbox Streaming when upgrading from XP to Vista
Key Infrastructure fixes
  • Vista x64 customers can now get to web help from error messages
  • Client no longer crashes if database is corrupted
Key Library fixes
  • Changes in pictures or video metadata made outside client will now get updated in the library
  • UI is now smoother during file groveling
  • When a track is added to an album we will now always update the track on disc
  • User can now update album art for marketplace tracks
  • 'Unknown Artist' metadata is no longer written to files when writing out user edit of album name
  • Renaming an artist now more reliably keeps the change
  • Two different copies of the same album no longer get duplicated down to one when it shouldn’t
  • Access violation no longer occurs when checking song properties in the burn list
  • Multi-disc albums imported from iTunes no longer show in the client as a single disc album
  • Thumbnails for video content now extract on XP properly
Download here

Just an fyi. I haven't read the whole thread so someone else may have already posted this item.

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

That application, even though it is touted as an iPod convertor, works just fine for video files you intend to use on your Zune.

You can batch convert a number of videos and overall it seems that the tool is working just fine for me. For the settings, I am converting it to MP4 Stereo, 128kbps.

It is not quite as good as the Microsoft application but I am getting a much higher rate of conversion (in terms of time) and the batch processing is better.

Btw, ordered this case and it is amazing. Very solid and smooth, and it has a nifty magnet that hold the case shut. Only down side though they didnt cut a hole for the snyc cable, but its a cake to take it out. If you are walking around with your zune in your pocket(like I was) I would pick one of these bad boys up. Comes with a free song download too 79 MS points (woo?!)

Edit....Just noticed that they 80gig was out of stock everywhere...weird

I have a Zune!
Not really used it yet and can't actually sign in using the application as it somehow knows my passport is UK even though I have changed everything I can think of.

I got as far as letting the application let me sign in but then I can't agree to the subscription agreement.

I obviously know that I can't buy music (OMG WHAT IF THE ENGLISH HEARD MUSIC FROM AMERICA!!!!1) but it would at least might be nice to sign in.

I tried a proxy server but couldn't get it working, might have to borrow you Saz so you can do it all for me ;p

The device has been out for a while now, but I'm still a Zune 1st gen. user and going strong. :) Tuffgong4, SUPER doesn't work for you?
I know that there is someway that you can edit your registry so that the Zune software will accept all types of video files and just convert it by itself. Let me see if I can find it again, because I remember seeing it at ZuneBoards or Zunerama..

3.0 of the zune software and firmware are out!

As we speak, I am excitedly staring at the progress bar for the download of the new Zune 3.0 software, as I am sure many of you already have, eagerly anticipating the launch of the Zune gaming era. The update adds various new features to Microsoft's device, such as the ability to read audio books, wireless marketplace browsing, the ability to tag songs you hear while listening to the FM radio for later download, and wow - a clock, but by far the greatest development of all is the gaming features. The update even comes with two games - Hexic and Texas Hold Em, offering a fresh new way to play slightly older games.
The download is almost completed. I would have done this sooner but I couldn't find the Zune under all that iPod Touch packaging. Installing. Wow, it's taking a long time to prepare my computer. Hmm. *gets distracted playing Spore on the iPod Touch, wanders off*
http://kotaku.com/5050491/zune-update-brings-free-games

Thats right, GAMES!!!!...with ads?

http://www.zune.net/en-us/whatsnew.htm

I will make a news post if any of you find a change log, games are obvious but I would like to get more info before I post it.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a good program to, i'm assuming rip DVD's to .avi's and such..... i can highly recommend DVDFab. i've been using it for quite a long time now.... few years i think.... works great.

sounds like you need to reinstall the firmware

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back