New to Athlon XP... some questions !

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Howling Wolf, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

Hi, all !
    I just installed my Athlon XP 1800+, and... Ô surprise, it seems to be unlocked ! Is this normal with XP's ? Indeed, through bios, in manual mode, I can change the cpu coef., what I couldn't do with my former locked P///650@866 !

2nd: I use some noname pc2700 ram that is by default set to 2.5/3/3/6, not so good, isn't it ? And how do I know it really runs at 2x166/333 mhz instead of 2x133/266 ?

3rd: about temps ? I installed the Alpha PAL6035MUC, and I get 57°c at idle, is this normal, should I worry ?

Thanx for any idea about all this !

2. MiseryQv2.0

MiseryQv2.0 Guest

What motherboard is this XP on?!?

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

says in his sig, he got an asus a7v333.

awful good fortune if your athlon is indeed unlocked. won't have to go through the hassle of unlocking it yourself.

57° at idle is far too warm. look into getting a better hsf and some arctic silver 3... don't delay.

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

wait wait wait... you positive it's unlocked? your mobo's bios will let you pick 'user define' and change the multiplier all you want... but once you restart, it will default back to the normal speed. check it.

5. MiseryQv2.0

MiseryQv2.0 Guest

I never pay attention to long sigs...

taurus is right about the seetings in the bios... To find out the info you want find and DL wcpu... That will tell you the multiplier as well as system and memory bus speeds...

Once again that board is reading the thermal diode in the XP,,, not the probe in the socket,,, that temp is not too high in my opinion...