New System

J

jason2slow

hi ive been thinking about building a new computer, and i have a few questions.

1. Should i wait for intel's p4 extreme? i heard its going to be @ $900-$1000..

2. Should i go pentium or amd?

3. Which motherboard should i get? for both processors?

4. Should i go Nvidia or Ati?

5. If i use a 512 stick of DDR266, will it be ok if i use a 512 stick of a higher DDR with it?

i may have more questions..but all help and info is appreciated.

thanks

1. No, it won't be worth the wait

2. AMD, buy a Barton 2500+ and overclock it to 3200+ speeds

3. Abit NF7-S for AMD or Abit IC7-G for Intel

4. ATi, with current generation GPUs the ATI is a whole lot faster in Direct X 9

5. The 266 will be almost useless, any new CPU will use a FSB of 333, or 400

Go for:

AMD 2500+
Gigabyte GA-7NNXP NVidia chipet
400Mhz FSB

3 - amd: NForce2 Ultra 400 or, if you want to spend lots of money, go 64-bit with a K8T800 and athlon64.
intel: i865 or, if you want to spend more money, i875. as far as i know, 875 isn't much faster than 865, but is more feature-rich. (correct?)

4 - right now, ATI.

5 - will work fine as long as your memory is clocked at 266.

no entirely depends on what you are talking about.

AMD = apples INTEL = oranges

the AMD vs Intel debate will always continue but its like comparing apples and oranges.

if you want cheap and fast ass gaming machine go AMD if you want to run video and photo application and other office software go Intel. AMD is so much cheaper than Intel is still blows me away why ppl will spend the money to only get a product that is only marginally faster and twice the price.

Originally posted by Yharn
no entirely depends on what you are talking about.

AMD = apples INTEL = oranges

the AMD vs Intel debate will always continue but its like comparing apples and oranges.

if you want cheap and fast ass gaming machine go AMD if you want to run video and photo application and other office software go Intel. AMD is so much cheaper than Intel is still blows me away why ppl will spend the money to only get a product that is only marginally faster and twice the price.

the price ratio is true for some of the cpu's... @ the same time though... intel does have some good products @ good price points as well...

amd's problem has been r&d time/product availabilty and overall performance... till the athlon 64's... you were hardpressed to say amd was competitive @ the highend but it did have good low-mid range cpu's performacne/price ratio...

please don't turn this into an amd v/s intel debate...

you can never truly rate speeds of the different processors because they dont use the same motherboards. so there is always that extra factor set into the experiment.

since you asked about a $1000 processor, and you wanted 2 of them, i would say you got money to burn. so, i would go for intel cause they are better at multitasking and IN MY OPINION, they are faster.

Originally posted by ming
Go for:

AMD 2500+
Gigabyte GA-7NNXP NVidia chipet
400Mhz FSB

Beautiful mobo hard to grab was a limited edition but I am sure it can be found, AMD with any thing from a 2500+ up

or the G8NNXP with a 64 bit Athlon :)

Originally posted by Sazar
please don't turn this into an amd v/s intel debate...

thats exactly why i didn't go any further with my post.

very very very very very very very very very tired of the AMD vs Intel crap.

its debated on a daily basis @ some other forums i frequent.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back