New PC Rebooting after Starting up..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by devynal, Jan 9, 2004.

1. devynal

devynal The Idiot Circus Boy

Bah and I had to re-register my account after 2 years. :eek:

Hello all.

I just put in a new Abit IS7-E with a Pentium 4 3.0GHz and 1GB of Corsair TwinX XMS PC3200 RAM.

No other changes were made and after the computer POSTs it reboots. Sometimes I can see a blue-screen-of-death. (Windows XP Pro SP1).

The CPU is hanging around 115 degrees F, which is normal. And both modules of memory passed memtest86.

Do I need to reinstall Windows? I also tried both 4X and 8X AGP to no avail.

I've done this to other computers I've built (thrown in new cpu/ram/board and everything still works fine). At a loss of what else is wrong.

EDIT: 400W Antec Power Supply and latest BIOS revision.

Thanks for any help.
  2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Fort Worth, TX
    Does the motherboard use the same chipset manufacturer as the last motherboard?

I've done fine when changing MB with the same manufacturers chipset but got into reinstall hell when I tried changing from Via to SIS, etc.

With XP fighting you it's hard to tell if you really cleared out all the chipset specific drivers.

If you changed chipset manufacturers try a repair install, it preserves your setup. If that doesn't work go for the full install.

PS 22 stinking posts? How did people get up to the 200"s already????????
  3. devynal

Yep, they are both Intel Chipsets, last one was an 845, going to 865PE.
  4. desie

desie OSNN Senior Addict

Do you have the patch for the blaster virus?
  5. devynal

I fixed it. :) I did what Lee said and just try a repair install on XP and it worked!