New MEM purchase...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by scriptasylum, Jan 12, 2003.

1. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

I will be soon purchasing some Corsair 512 MB PC2700 or PC3200 XMS DDR memory. My mother board supports PC2700 memory, but I will be over clocking the FSB a bit. I know Corsair says you can overclock with it, but since I want to use the aggressive settings and overclock, would getting the PC3200 be a better idea? There's not really much difference in price between the two, but I like to save where I can.

BTW: I stopped by CompUSA the other day and couldn't believe the price of their DDR memory. Corsair is LESS expensive for the same amount and better speed/settings! The guy there said Corsair was no better than what they have (PNY?). I just laughed and left.

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

corsair = pny? :D suuuure.

what latency is the pc2700 rated at? if the pc3200 is higher, i'd probly just get the pc2700 with better timings. cuz i don't think there's pc3200 memory available yet at cas2.

then again, a friend of mine has regular samsung pc2700 on his pc2100 board... and we were able to set the all timings to the absolute minimum. i was surprised and can only credit it to it being 6ns (pc2700) opposed to 7.5ns (pc2100)..? :confused:

if that's the case, the pc3200 might be a better choice. not to mention the guaranteed oc room.

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

the xms series from corsair has supported CAS settings of 2... rather than the 2.5-3 a lot of mem makers use..

4. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Sooo, that means what?

Will the Corsair XMS PC2700 allow overclocking and aggressive memory timings?

Or should I play it safe and get the XMS PC3200 just to make sure it'll run stable at a higher clock with the better timings?

The wesbite says guaranteed overclockability, but doesn't mention whether you can o/c and run strong mem timings simultaneously.

I guess I'm looking for someone with Corsair experience here...

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i'd just get the pc3200. you should be able to achieve aggressive timings... and oc.