New liquid Cooling Setup.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Aprox, May 30, 2005.

1. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

Just got my new rig I built a while back setup with good ol' liquid cooling.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/Jeff_24/Water%20Cooling/Water_5.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/Jeff_24/Water%20Cooling/Water_1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/Jeff_24/Water%20Cooling/Water_2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/Jeff_24/Water%20Cooling/Water_3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/Jeff_24/Water%20Cooling/Water_4.jpg

Idle CPU temp right now is 37c (98f) with a ambient case temp of 34c (93f).

My house is about 24c (75f) right now

Under the camera flash the green dye looks a lot more green then it actually is. Its very subtle in normal light.

I can get some better beauty shots later if you guys want. I just figured I would share what I have so far :)

2. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

wow, that looks rad. Was it hard to setup? and how much quieter is it?

3. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

what are the chances of that thing sweating or leaking?

4. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

i would love to liquid cool my suttle xpc, im already designing a window for it. But trying to fit a liquid cooling system into a SFF case looks pretty much impossible.

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Jimi
    First Law of fluidics:
    --"If there is no leakage you forgot to fill the system."
    It won't sweat becuase it is at room temp or higher.

Umm, personally I would not put the reservoir on top of my HD, ya know...

Put the HD/Optical at the top and the reservoir under it.

6. Aprox

Thanks guys,

@mooo: It was kind of a pain to setup, I had to cut out the side of my power supply bay in order to make room for the radiator. But it was a fun project.

@jimi: The chances of it leaking are only about as good as me doing a bad job of sealing all fittings. I think I did a good job at it... or atleast lets hope so :p (and yes I did do a leak test).

@LeeJend: That is a good point, but it would be very difficult to put the pump/resivoir under my HD's. Opticials wouldnt be to hard, I would just have to drill a new set of holes for the metal plate that the pump/res sit on.

7. underdown24

underdown24 Squating Dog

That is pretty sweet set up. In response to the sweating question. For there to be condensation, (I probely didnt spell that right), the water has to be colder than the air out side. Because the radiator is using the power of air to cool the water, it will never be colder than the air outside of the water. Mr. wizard has spoken.

Aprox likes this.
  8. jimi_81

9. jimi_81

aaahhh, ok sounds champ.
    i like the idea of liquid metal cooling. did someone post that recently? i read it somewhere...

well good luck with that man. if u dont mind me asking, how much was it to set that up? im running a pretty loud system right now. 80mm power supply fan is killing me.

10. Aprox

Well, not including the cost of the case (which was in reality nessary for its size to host a water cooling setup).

Radiator - 63.00$ @ Pcmods
    Pump - 47.95$ @ CrazyPc
    Reservoir - 25.95$ @ CrazyPc
    Waterblock - 35.99$ @ Directron
    Fans - 3.90$ Each @ Newegg
    My Time - Priceless :p

So roughly a total of 180.69$ including taxes and shipping probably closer to 200.00$

I have a fan controller for all my case fans, so those fans I bought I dont run at full speed. So its not as loud as it seems. Overall the system is pretty quiet. Much better then the stock HSF that my CPU came with.

11. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I have a question, whats that blue thing between the cpu?

12. Aprox

I dont quite follow what you mean, but if you are talking about that blue "thing" in the loop, its a flow indicator. To tell me if my pump is working.

13. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Ahh, so they have added flow meters now. That was one of the items always bothering me.

Aprox I didin't see a block on the video card. Have you considered going that way? Video seems to be the last heat pig in the systems these days.

14. Aprox

I actually removed the flow indicator from the loop a few months ago. It seized up and was impeding flow a ton. Also, it was slowing griding away at itself, which introduced a bunch of fine plastic dust to the loop. :-\ I have since cleaned it all up though. In reality I don't really need a flow indicator, I can just glance in my case window and look at the reservoirand see the fluid swirling around as the pump pushes and pulls from the cylindrical reservoir.

In that shot I had my 6800GT, I have an 8800 GTS now, and I'm waiting for DangerDen to release a waterblock for it, then I will go water cooled on the GPU.