new drivers for graphics card

iceman7311

OSNN Senior Addict
i just installed a 66gt into my asus sli delux and i am using a old hard drive which had other graphics card drivers installed
the problem is i cant get the refresh rate above 1hz and every thing is very slow
it is just gray where it should be

You need to install drivers for your monitor :)

zeke did you say install drivers for the monitor, there are only two situations where you'd need to do this, with really high end expensive monitors or ones that are so damn old your granny used to use them, i'd suspect a new monitor is in order, but by all means try a driver.

its not the monitor mine is brand new could it have something to do with me building a new comp. but not re formatting of reinstalling windows on the hard drive?

If you change a major piece of hardware its always a good idea to do a clean format. This could be part of your problem, but as zeke said it might be a good idea to install your monitor drivers. Since it is the drivers that say what the max refresh rate for a particular resolution is. I would go with the drivers first, if that doesnt work then do a clean format... but you really should have done that from the start :)

iceman7311 said:
its not the monitor mine is brand new could it have something to do with me building a new comp. but not re formatting of reinstalling windows on the hard drive?

What Aprox said... You rebuild the comp with new mobo, gfx, CPU, etc it's best for format and reinstall. People have had issues in the past not doing this...

I will add this (as the thread mentions graphics cards in the specific). As to gfx cards, my experience has been this:

- Changing manufacturers (aka when I went from a 3dfx Voodoo 5, which I tried) to a GeForce 2 GTS, get new drivers... I'd say the same switching between ATI and nVidia for instance...

- When I tried a Voodoo 5 from a Voodoo 3, see above, even though it was the same manufacturer. I did have some weird issues such as some games appearing like they were played on Mars. AKA read green faces (and they weren't supposed to be aliens) and a red tinted background...

- When changing between 2 gen nVidia cards, I had no issue. Probably due to it using the unified drivers, and one would simply update the nVidia driver onto the nVidia driver (only needing it to recognize/set itself up for the new card).

- I imagine the same might apply to ATI's catalyst drivers (also unified) would be much the same as with nVidia's. I've only had one generation Radeon though, and that's the 9600 I currently have. I'll let someone else speak who's updated their Radeon and tried not doing a fresh format where Catalyst drivers were used in both cases.

But from my experience, I would say...if your new graphics card is from the same manufacturer, you can probably avoid a format, so long as a unified driver is used.

If you change manufacturers (aka nVidia to ATI or vice versa), format and reinstall is your best option...

If you're changing out your mobo and building a whole new comp, what Aprox said...

well...... if you change a major piece of hardware, usually with the motherboard, and use the same Hard drive...... it's not "best" for a reinstall, it's a necessity. it'd either be that, or spend countless hours trying to find a way around it only to realize that formatting and reinstalling would have saved you a whole lot of time.

hehe, call me the master of the under statement :D Usually, I have had more a tendency to understate something, then overstate it :)

Actually, I might have got around it once when I had an Asus A7V (or was it a A7V 133?), flashed the BIOS, rebooted, and the stinken flash didn't take right. The flash program from their site said it was successful. Only time that ever happened to me. Had to get another board, aka an Asus A7V 133a, as the older board was off market, which also precluded the possibility of just swaping a BIOS chip between them...

My data was on the drive and I needed to retrieve it. I didn't have any probs booting, at least to retrieve my data... I don't remember if I formated in the end (was a long time ago), but I do know it booted without incident which allowed me to get my data off the HD... But yes, with planned upgrades and the like I grab the data first, and then format when it's all back together. That was a bit of a mis-hap...

BTW, and perhaps worth mentioning, I use all SCSI drives/SCSI interface card, so disable the IDE bus altogether... There are other things wrt the mobo though...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back