New DirectX?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by darklink1017, May 1, 2002.

1. darklink1017

darklink1017 Guest

Just asking

Does anyone know when the new version of DirectX will be available? I think the latest DirectX is 8.1....And if anyone knows, will it be available for use with Windows XP?
  2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

New York
    I read some where that it was coming out with SR-1, which is due to ship end of summer (as it is being beta tested now).
  3. darklink1017

darklink1017 Guest

What's SR1?
  4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Copenhagen, Denmark
    DirectX9 is going into testing very soon. It will only really benefit games that are designed using the extra instructions that it will create.

SR-1 is service release one and is apparently not on Microsofts roadmap, ,however I do believe a service pack will eventually be released, whether Microsoft will repackage with eh patches integrated remains to be seen...
  5. MrW

MrW Guest

I really don't want to step on anyones toes but MS would never release DirectX in a Service Pack. There would be to much public out cry.

Also it's another thing for the Anti-Trust people to get angry over. But all that said MS is includeding those new technologies into Service Pack 1... so I really doubt they included DirectX, but it could happen.