New Amd Processor

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cs-cky, Apr 23, 2003.

1. cs-cky

cs-cky Guest

Which would be the better processor to buy for the money. i have 50 bucks i am either gonna get a Amd alothon xp 1800+ or a amd althon xp 2000+. Is the 7 more dollars worth the extra 7 bucks. Or should i save and get something higher. Or just blow off the processor and get some ram? i am a amd duron 1.1 ghz the rest is listed....

2. Ace123

Ace123 Guest

I definatly say go with a 2000+. A couple mhz isnt much i know but for 7 bucks it is. Also Make sure the one you buy is a thoughrobred (spelt right).

3. cs-cky

cs-cky Guest

hmmm...

how much of a difference is a thoughbred> it is another 20 bucks more... with that much more i dont have i could get a 2400+ xp. Should i just stick with regualr 2000+ or does it make a difference in a big way. I wont be overclocking this cpu.

4. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

looking @ your rig.. I can't see how a new cpu like the 1800+ or 2000+ will make a noticeable difference...

better to wait for something that may well double the performance...

good cpu's can be had for around 100-120 dollars...

the ones you mention may not be a big kick up above what you have...

5. Adrenalize

Adrenalize Tired Zombie

go with the 1800 i got 1 for 50 bucks OEM and it runs at 1.666
    mhz slightly overclocked at 46*C

6. Sacrilius

Sacrilius Guest

XP 2500+ Barton

7. Adrenalize

Adrenalize Tired Zombie

Will his mobo support 333 fsb?
    if not not worth the money

8. Ace123

Ace123 Guest

moving from a duron to an athlon xp is a sure shot performance boost if asked anyone. Id still go with the 2000+ thoughrobred or not

9. mokuni

mokuni Guest

id go for the extra $7 bucks. but id wait a while for the barton core to sink in and lower the price on the lower end xp chips.

10. dubstar

dubstar format c:

i say, get a 512mb RAM, and wait for the 2500XP 333FSB to drop in price.

if you wait for the 333fsb, you will probably not regret it.

11. Alex_is_Axel

Alex_is_Axel .:: FTPAlex ::.

im sorry to sound stupid.. but what does this " thoughrobred " mean exactly? what does it do etc.

Thank you :rolleyes:

12. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

I had a duron 1100 and got an Athlon 1800+ tbred and there is a great improvment in performance to be had ...and I can run this 1800@1.75 ghz easy

so yes go for one why not!! ;)

13. Ace123

Ace123 Guest

They do have a point. Barton 2500+s are nearings 100 dollars and having 333fsb is pretty nice. Also thoroughbred is just a revision of the athlon cpu core. Just like a barton is.

14. Sazar

palomino core athlons = 0.18 micron process... fsb == 133mhz.. 128kb L1 cache... 256kb L2 cache

throughbred core athlons = 0.13 micron process... fsb == 133/166mhz... 128kb L1 cache... 256kb L2 cache

barton core = 0.13 micron process... fsb == 133/166/200 coming soon... 128kb L1 cache... 512kb L2 cache

15. Plexapotamus

Plexapotamus Guest

you can also recognise a thoughbred by their rectangular core, as opposed to the palomino which has a squarish core.

the .13 micron core of the thoughbred creates less heat in the processor than the .18 of the palomino. The thoughbreds are better for OverClocking...

I have a 2000+ palomino:huh:, its stock is 1.667 and I'm running it at 1.8 with 100% stability, a default voltage. (temps: 31 idle, 36 load)

I'm waiting till I set up a new rig (hopefully with a 2500+ barton :)) then I'm going to unlock this palomino and see how far it'll go.

go with the thoughbred.:)

16. Sazar

there are 2 t'bred versions... A and B...

the A version had a slightly smaller core and was not oc'ing friendly... the B revision runs cooler and is more stable with oc's being quite good...