New Active Desktop Feature.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Lonman, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

I looked at this in the setup instructions:

[​IMG]

Don't like that, not one bit. I hope we don't get a bunch of folks getting their hard drives formatted using this thing because they disable some basic security features... globally disable these features.

Is this the only way this could be designed? I'd encourage dude to explore other coding to accomplish his goal.

Just my thoughts.

2. waddy

waddy OSNN Senior Addict

There are 4 security Zones in internet Explorer
    Local Intranet
    Trusted sites
    Restricted sites

They all have their own security settings .... so if you reduce your Local intranet security it is Not going to affect the Internet settings

Lonman for the Desktop you are only using those settings for your trusted site ... your trusted site is 127.0.0.1 or Localhost

127.0.0.1 = loopback = no websites can use it

Localhost = your PC

So theres nothing to worry about ....... unless you accidentally set a site which is running malicious activeX scripts as one of your trusted sites ......

Your general surfing is not affected by those settings ....

;)

Tools > internet options > Security > trusted sites :p

3. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Oooohhh!! Cool, lol. Maybe I should read more then the pics, lol.

4. waddy

waddy OSNN Senior Addict

Its a good thing to ask mate ...... the last thing we need is a few thousand people asking why there drives have been formated :p

5. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Actually, they really wouldn't know for sure what 'they' did. I don't know if half of 'em would even be able to reinstall their own OS if it happened, lol. That cuts WAY down on liability, lol. ;)