Networking Xp and 2k pro

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by bigdingding, May 23, 2003.

1. bigdingding

bigdingding Guest

I need help please i wanna network 2 computers together one of em has XP pro and the other one has win2k pro i cant seem to get them to connect with each other how do i do this i just wanna share files thanks

2. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

how are they connected, through a hub? crossover cable?
    how have you setup the network cards?
    have you enabled File sharing on both?
    do you have firewalls running on either of them?

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Welcome to the boards bigdingding! Please use punctuation. Give us more info, that's way to little to go on.

4. bigdingding

bigdingding Guest

i have them connected to a linksys router and they both can connect to the internet. i dunno how to set them up to accept file sharing what else info do u need to know thanks

5. bigdingding

bigdingding Guest

more info:

ok when i search the Xp comp sees the 2k comp but cant access anything and i shared folders on the 2k

the 2k comp cant see the Xp comp at all

i have them connected to a Linksys router and it says it has a built in firewall maybe thats the problem but i dont know how to disable it

if there is anymore info u need then holla back thanks

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

The router isn't the problem since the firewall isn't between the computers, it's between the computers and the Internet.

7. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

Firstly check you have the WinXP firewall disabled...

now check the usernames and passwords on the machines.
    for example...

Win2K box:
    user: administrator
    pass: blah

WinXP box: user
    pass: wibble

You need to set up another user on the Win2K box (you never need to use it, its just so the WinXP machine can connect) using the WinXP info. So in the example above, you would add a user profile to Win2K called "user" with the password "wibble".

Also, check both machines are in the same workgroup - WinXP tends not to complain so much about workgroups (well, it hasnt in my experience anyway lol), but Win2K does.

Also check the IP addresses are in the same range and subnet - although they probably will be because they need to be in the same range as the router in order to get online, it might be worth checking it. Check that you're using static IP addressing rather than DHCP - if you're only using 2 machines, its easier with static because you know what IP each machine is on (I tend to always use static IP addressing as its easier to work out which machine is which).

Can you ping the other machines? i.e. ping Win2K from WinXP and vice versa?

Try those things out and post back how you get on.

8. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

btw, you can't disable the harfdware firewall in the router =\ only open ports

9. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

probably need to disable simple file sharing

(i didnt read everything above to see if that was already suggested )

10. ChrissiCom

ChrissiCom Guest

stupid question, but errr... is a Linksys router suitable for networking?? Normally you need a hub or cross-link cable to connect two computers with each other in an (intranet) network. A hardware router just helps them to access the internet not to access each other.

~Chrissicom

11. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

the router by rights acts as a network hub as well.

12. RabidPenguin

RabidPenguin Guest

His router has a switch built into it. ;)

13. bigdingding

bigdingding Guest

OK i have figured out my problem i had to in stall NWlink on my Xp machine then they could both see each other

Now i got another problem my Xp machine cant log onto my 2k machine. i made a user for it on my 2k but it still wont get in it gives me a logon failure and tells me that i dont have permisson to go on but 2k machine can log onto my xp machine fine and can share files

what am i doing wrong?