Networking recomendations

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DrMetallica, Sep 12, 2002.

1. DrMetallica

DrMetallica OSNN Senior Addict

I'm going to network my broadband internet connections for my 3 computers. My ISP will do it for $10 a month, plus installation charges :rolleyes:

But I want to do it myself. There will be the host computer at one end of the house, and the two older computers at the other end. I don't want to have wires all over the house, so I'd like to get a wireless router.

Has anyone used a wireless router or know what some of the best are?

I'm looking at the Linksys Wireless 4-Port Cable/DSL Router @ http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...71452-3731110?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846 specifically, but it looks like some people have had bad experiences.

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Netgear MR314
    Netgear FM114P
    D-Link DI-713P
    D-Link DI-614+

I know the users of Netgear MR314 and D-Link DI-713P are usually happy with their choice. Make sure you also get network cards of the same brand as the router. Works better.

If you decide to have a wireless router there is no need for a host computer. Just plug the connection (DSL modem, cable modem, whatever) into the router directly.

If you have an internal DSL or cable modem in your computer, you should use ICS instead of a router. Then just buy a wireless access point.

3. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

I have a Linksys 1 port Ethernet Router (no wireless) and i love it. Its always worked and ive never had any problems with it

JJB

4. jkoXP

jkoXP Guest

5. DrMetallica

DrMetallica OSNN Senior Addict

yeah, i heard linksys non-wireless routers are great, but the wireless frequently have problems.

that Netgear FM114P router looks great...especially the 3 yr warranty..but it's $190 at amazon...

has anyone had any experience using HPA, or networking through the phone lines?

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Nope, but I dont' think you can use a router then because HPNA uses RJ11 (phone plugs) and not RJ45 as far as I know. You'd have to use an ICS machine.