Networking between Windows 98 and XP

S

Spyder1125

I'm having trouble setting up the printer connected to the Windows 98 computer downstairs. It is listed in my Printers on the XP computer, but it freezes on me everytime i try to print on that printer. I would also like to know how to set up for the printer connected to the XP computer to be printed from the Windows 98 computer. Another thing is everytime I go to Network Places > View workgroup computers, it takes a really long time, about a minute before the 2 computers networked show up. Is there any way to fix this? Any other tips to have a smooth running, file & printer sharing network, that's fast? BTW, the internet sharing is fine between the two computers.

Win98 printer: Make sure you have printer drivers made for XP when you install the printer in XP. Wrong version drivers can cause all sorts of problems.
XP printer: In order to access the XP machine from the 98 machine you need to log in with the same user and pass in the 98 as in the XP machine. Or so I heard.
About the speed I don't know. Windows networking can be really slow sometimes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back