Network problems

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by phigity, Feb 13, 2003.

1. phigity

phigity Guest

i have 2 computers i want to network together. both are running win xp. i have a netgear router to share internet access between them. so i have cat5 running from the cabem modem to the router and cat5 from the router to each computer. i ran win xp's network setup wizard and it completed on each computer but i can't share files. i really need to move some files around tonight. can i share files and internet access with a router? or do i need a hub or a switch? please, need help fast.

2. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

umm the shared folder..when you click on my computer..the files in there i think those are the ones that you can share...

3. phigity

phigity Guest

you can share any folder or drive you want.

4. oDin

oDin xp m0nk3y

yep sure can.

5. phigity

phigity Guest

ok i have a new setup now. i have the cable modem going to the router and from the router going to each computer. the only way i can share files between the computers is to unhook computer 2 from the router and hook it to a 4-port hub. i installed a second Ethernet card into computer 1 and ran a cat5 to the hub. so my problem now is i can either share internet access with both computers through the router but no file sharing or i can have internet access on computer 1 and be able to share files but no internet access for computer 2. need help bad. thanks!

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

That sounds really strange. It should work with the first setup. Make sure any firewalls are of, and all computers are in the same workgroup.

7. phigity

phigity Guest

how do i turn the firewalls off?

8. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Right-click on your network connection > Properties > Advanced tab. There it is.